BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is ritual humiliation time!

I know what I should do, and I ignored the sage words. Please profit from my misfortune!

If you use BaseCamp - BACKUP your data, and do it often.

I knew the risks of of not backing up information, and choose to ignore it! It won't happen to me, it can and it did!

Over Christmas I had a computer crash. I lost the main drive, where all the documents & settings were stored. All my main data was preserved, all the documents, photos etc safe! However the only thing that was a victim of my stupidity was my BaseCamp data.

For three years, I had carefully recorded, preserved all the trips, routes, tracks, waypoints, etc. With the crash all gone! :(

Please do not let it happen to you - it is so annoying! What makes it worse is it was totally avoidable, and totally my own fault!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I had two different GPS's crash in the last 2 weeks also. One was an older one that would freeze up from time to time but I keep it for the information on it. The other one just worked one day & not the next. I called Garmin & was told it was not worth fixing (only paid about $80.00 for it 2 years ago). The older back up one froze as soon as I hooked it up to get the info off of it. I now have the Garmin 2757 that I've put put as much of the info that I can remember & have backed it up.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I know this is over kill. I design the route on one compter transfer it to my laptop to load on the GPS(s). Routes and waypoints are on two computers. Overnight trips I take two gps units because my 2820 has failed twice on me before. One time it lost data but I could reload it from my laptop another time it wouldn't start and I just put in my 2720 and continued on. Always have a plan B.;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts