BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i am new to these forums and i just got a great deal on a 2005 LT, 12,000miles, $7000. Got a great deal on it because the original owner had let it sit for two years due to a fuel leak.It had only been serviced by BMW dealers and is in great condition. also got GPS and two Arai helmets with the intercom system. Got the bike last friday but had to wait until yesterday to get the QD's to make the repair to the leaking fuel system. (thanks to all of the info on here it was an easy fix, just VERY hard waiting!) Took it out today for the first ride and i absolutely love this bike! I have made the repairs to the QD's and i see where some people have had problems with the shift linkage but i am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for things to watch out for/ prepare for? I am in the Phoenix area if anyone wants to ride :bmw:
Thank you
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/foiler69/?action=view&current=newbike010.jpg

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Welcome aboard. And congratulations on the steal. Lots of help available here from several guys who really know their chit. :) Keep the front wheel straight when coming to a stop, or she may take a nap on ya. You bought your bike at the right time of the year as far as riding goes. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Congrats on the new to you bike, lots of great information and people on this forum. Reach out if you need any advise.

Nice color.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Welcome to the group. Keep your hand off the front brake at parking lot speeds. If you have the wheel turned and hit the brake, she is probably going to lay down on you. Also, when using the side stand, leave her in 1st gear with the clutch out and push her forward until she stops against the engine compression then put her on the stand. If you don't do that, she may roll forward and lay down. She is very lazy until you get her going, then watch out!!!

Most important, if she does start to lay down, let her go. She is well protected and you're probably not going to stop her anyway.

Now go enjoy her and Safe Riding!!!

Ray

·
Registered
656 Posts
Grats on the new ride! Now ride her like you stole her we do:)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome and great info! Have only got to put about 20 miles on so far but i am hoping to go up through sedona/oak creek tomorrow and maybe squeeze in a couple hundred miles. cant wait to take some pics in front of the redrocks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, what a deal. I know you will enjoy the LT and welcome to the forum. :bmw:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Yes ride it like you stole it...because I think you DID !!! :D
Hey we're heading out to Scottsdale 1rst 2 weeks in May. Maybe see you at Scottsdale BMW.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Riding home today i realized i have a shimmie in the front end. with just the weight of my hands on the bars it is fine but if i make my hands too light the bars start swinging. I am having a new Metzler mounted up front in the morning but i am wondering a couple of things: What tires come stock on the 05? The bike sat in a garage in Az for two years, and even though the tires still have lots of tread should i change them both just to be safe? They dont look dry rotted but i REALLY dont want to have a flat/blowout out on the road if i can avoid it. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I can't answer your question as to what tires came on the 05, but it is my understanding that on 05s they changed from radial to bias. One thing for sure, if those are original tires, I would change them. There is a date code stamped on the tire that you can look for. You will be safe going with Metzeler tires and will probably get the best milage out of them. There is a miriad of tire threads, like oil threads that you can look up.

After all, at the price you stole that bike for, you can well afford a new set of shoes for her.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride! There are almost as many threads on front wheel shimmy as there are oil threads. Conventional wisdom seems to be there may be a slightly greater propensity for the '05's and later models to develop the trait than for the older ones as they changed the steering geometry for better low speed handling in that year. My '01 is solid as a rock hands off. Steady speed, accelerating, decelerating makes no difference. The front tires will cup over time and mileage as she is a pretty hefty gal. They develop a bit of a howl in the turns too as they get older. All pretty normal. I envy you getting new tires. I would change them eery week if I could aford it. Nothing better than riding on new slippers.

If you go with Metzlers it has been recommended that you run 42 psi front and 48 psi rear for longest life. When I run with the side car I put 50 psi in the rear.

Loren

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you both :cool:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the new front tire on and presto! Solid as a rock, even at 80. Got in about 200 today and the wife really enjoyed her first ride on it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have an 07 and the tire will shimmy when decelerating around 35 to 40 MPH, new tire or old. Its part of there thrilling charm. I have never experienced any shimmy while hands on bars. Why would you want to take your hands off the bars anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Scott, Low price, low clock on a excellent bike. Plenty of help on this forum, congrats and ride safe..

·
Registered
910 Posts
Your in trouble now buddy!
She will be waiting by the door after work with helmets in hand now!
It is that wonderful a bike
Deal of the century, great bike, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Howdy and Welcome,

Regarding the shifter linkage subject to breakage:

When I purchased my LT in '02 there were so many rumors about the shifter linkage failures that I went and purchased all the replacement parts.

I've been carrying them in the trunk for about nine years and haven't needed them yet. PTL.

Have fun with the new-to-you LT.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wondered how stable the bike was and with the new tire it is awesome. Arthur it is cool that you took the time to look up my name and name your bike after my wife :D , shows how great the people in here are! Haughty you are correct sir! she wanted this bike almost as much as i did. Thank you for the info about the shifter linkage, guess i will wait and see how it goes. I have been doing some reading in here and see that several other people think the older model seats are more comfortable. The LT that i borrowed and rode about a year ago seemed much more comfortable so i am going to see if i can find an older seat at a reasonable price and make it fit. I have noticed that my center stand does not always work. Sometimes when i push the button the light flashes much faster and an exclamation point will appear, then if i wait a few seconds and try again it will work properly. I figure electrical? You folks on here are MUCH nicer then on the MOA forums! Thank you :bmw:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Phoenix Ride, Im needing a Fix Might take you up on the ride offer, If your bike was up here in Spokane Id have you over to my Motorcycle shop and we would go all the way thru the services, same Invite to you or anyone else an if your ever up this way I have a small Studio,, You can stay as long as you wish....Matthew

Hey, Have you ever been to Chloride near Kingman Arizona and done the Route 66??
Chloride has a bar with some 200 beers and great Steaks
Chloride, Arizona is the oldest mining town in Arizona... a ghost town that is still very much alive.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW! i had never heard of Chloride until now and i have been in this state most of my life. I have driven RIGHT BY it several times and had no clue about it. We are planning on riding to Henderson soon and might have to make a stop. I am not a beer drinker but i do love steak. I have driven on route 66 but havent riden on it yet. From what i hear the best ride in this state is the old route 666 (now 191) between Safford and Springerville and we are hoping to get that done this summer. I am now understanding that i do not have near enough vacation time :bmw:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts