BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2003 K1200LT, just bought it a couple weeks ago.

Last Saturday, while moving it around the garage, It fell over (side stand popped up on my unexpectedly)

I got it up right away, parked it in the corner. I planned to take it to work today (having terrible rain here in Minnesota all week) Last night I went to check it.

It won't turn on, turned the key on, nothing. no dash lights, no fuel pump noise, etc.

Not being very familiar with the bike, I thought perhaps my battery was dead. I checked the connections and connected the trickle charger over night.

this morning, still nothing.

Do these bikes have a tip sensor? if so, how do you reset it? I guess I'm used to the HD bikes that had a bank angle sensor, that would cut power to fuel pump, ignition, etc. when the bike tipped over.

Any thoughs?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2003 K1200LT, just bought it a couple weeks ago.

Last Saturday, while moving it around the garage, It fell over (side stand popped up on my unexpectedly)

I got it up right away, parked it in the corner. I planned to take it to work today (having terrible rain here in Minnesota all week) Last night I went to check it.

It won't turn on, turned the key on, nothing. no dash lights, no fuel pump noise, etc.

Not being very familiar with the bike, I thought perhaps my battery was dead. I checked the connections and connected the trickle charger over night.

this morning, still nothing.

Do these bikes have a tip sensor? if so, how do you reset it? I guess I'm used to the HD bikes that had a bank angle sensor, that would cut power to fuel pump, ignition, etc. when the bike tipped over.

Any thoughs?

Thanks
Well, there is no tip sensor on the LT so something broke, possibly a ground wire or a fuse is blown. This is not a normal occurrence as I have dropped mine 4 times as many others have but this is the first time i have heard of one not functioning after a fall over when parked basically. It is also possibly a lose connection on a plug, maybe the ignition switch. I think all the relays are in there solidly enough that one didn't just fall out but they are in the electrics box under the tank.

Fuse #4 under the seat may be a good place to start. It should be always hot with 12V+.

·
Registered
343 Posts
To start with extremely simple, I'd cycle the "kill" switch. On my 2000LT the kill switch doesn't "kill" my dash lights or headlight when power is applied with the key, but it may on your year???

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
425 Posts
To start with extremely simple, I'd cycle the "kill" switch. On my 2000LT the kill switch doesn't "kill" my dash lights or headlight when power is applied with the key, but it may on your year???

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
+1 Sounds like the kill switch to me... or the sidestand switch? Put it on the center stand, side stand up, and make sure it is in neutral and the kill switch in the run position.

Reactions: jkersh1

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
+1 Sounds like the kill switch to me... or the sidestand switch? Put it on the center stand, side stand up, and make sure it is in neutral and the kill switch in the run position.
I don't think the kill switch darkens the dash and neither does the side stand while in gear and he says no signs of life. I think this is probably a larger issue than the interlock circuit but it never hurts to check and get that out of the way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think the kill switch darkens the dash and neither does the side stand while in gear and he says no signs of life. I think this is probably a larger issue than the interlock circuit but it never hurts to check and get that out of the way.
I'd put a volt meter on the batt and check voltage before and during start procedure. (just looking for clues at the scene of the crime)
That should give some kind of info. I'm wondering about the state of the battery's ground as well.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think I found the problem... although I'm a little embarrassed to explain, I like to follow through and let people know what I found.

However, now I have even more questions.

Ok. it turns out the battery was dead. quite dead.

I put a charger on it over the weekend, and it started up this morning (Monday)

however, while I had the charger connected ( with Key off and removed) the dash lights and headlight flickered ( and I could hear relays clicking on and off)

I rode it to work this morning (15 miles) at lunch it started right up.

After lunch I returned parked it. then people were telling me my headlight was on. Why would this be on?? I put the key in and turned it on and back off, removed key, light off.

could the headlight being on be part of an alarm? it's quite windy outside and a tree branch fell against the bike. not sure how hard it hit the bike or not..

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
After lunch I returned parked it. then people were telling me my headlight was on. Why would this be on?? I put the key in and turned it on and back off, removed key, light off.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
1st- Buy a NEW battery if uncertain or older than 2 years!
2nd- You likely turned the ign. switch to the "parking light" position, I've done this when I had my LT. It will also kill the battery.
If you don't have the owners manual I know I've seen them on line as a PDF.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Careful you don't weld your starter relay contacts by screwing around with a bad battery.
Hold on... scratch that. Your bike may be new enough to have the upgraded relay.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
There is no connection with the headlight and the alarm but it staying on is a symptom of a worn ignition switch. I have seen this problem a few times and a replaced switch always clears it up.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Sounds like a worn ignition switch could also be the answer to your "alarm system issues" post too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts