1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all;

Need some troubleshooting help.
Replaced the clutch on my 02 LT.
Got almost everything finished, installed the tank.
turn the key on, all lights good, push the starter button, all I get is the
relay kicking on but no starter. Fuel pump comes on.
Battery showing 12.4 v, when I push the start button, no change in voltage.
Is there a way to bypass the relay right to the starter to eliminate a bad starter?
Used to do that on old cars YEARS ago, not on the bike though.
Thanks all.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
12.4 volts is a very low battery when just the bike is just turned on. But the same voltage with no drop when you try to start it tells me that no power is going to the starter itself which takes so many amps that the battery voltage should drop to 10 or 9.5 if the battery is good and lower even, if the battery is bad or weak. Something before the starter is not doing it's job. Obvious of course as it won't start. Have you had your battery on a charger while doing your clutch work? Lots of wiring had to come apart for this job.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Yes you can run a heavy wire between the battery + and the starter tie point behind the battery on the shifter side. It should have a cap on it to prevent shorts. If the starter is OK it will spin.

Maybe you forgot to hook up the starter wire as you raised the engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Double check all your wiring. You may have something hooked up incorrectly. Remember, BMW uses black for the hot wires and brown for ground. Look for the shrink wrap sleeves on the correct tie points and battery.

Attachments

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm rechecking all the wiring again. this is the second time I have done this job.
Like I said the relay is "clicking" but that's it. Usually its the simple things.
I'm thinking battery, I have a older Odyssey. so i will try that first.
Thanks for the diagram.
What is the best way to check if voltage is actually getting to the starter?
I have a very good meter.
Go slow and point to point please. I am a good "basic" electrical guy.
Need to isolate the issue, dont want to drop the engine again for a starter; if its not.

Thanks everyone for any input.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diagram may be the life saver. Just looks like i missed something, not sure yet.
Will trace tomorrow...
I wish the shop manual I have from BMW had a better electrical diagrams.
Did I mention I hate electrical troubleshooting.
But as usual, you guys are the best.
Let you know what I find.

Zeke

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Also check to make sure all the red wires are on the battery + (like the one that FEEDS the starter relay). Believe there should be four on the 05 and up.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Double check all your wiring. You may have something hooked up incorrectly. Remember, BMW uses black for the hot wires and brown for ground. Look for the shrink wrap sleeves on the correct tie points and battery.

Ok,, all set, As I said drawings always help. They are a lifesaver. anyways, I had all the correct wiring pulled up to the battery area. But, there is always a but, I routed them incorrectly. meaning they were not all straight. so the ground wire I hooked to the battery was actually the relay wire. Pulled the wires back out rerouted cleanly and just happens everything works fine.... Live and learn, I know that bike inside and out; literally, but I messed up, you guys helped and on we go for more riding.
Thanks all

Zeke

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Ok,, all set, As I said drawings always help. They are a lifesaver. anyways, I had all the correct wiring pulled up to the battery area. But, there is always a but, I routed them incorrectly. meaning they were not all straight. so the ground wire I hooked to the battery was actually the relay wire. Pulled the wires back out rerouted cleanly and just happens everything works fine.... Live and learn, I know that bike inside and out; literally, but I messed up, you guys helped and on we go for more riding.
Thanks all

Zeke
I hope I ride mine enough to have to put another clutch in it in a few years :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts