BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 k12lt anyone having problems w/starting? I ride to work,bike sets all day and late evenings ride home but may not start some times, cranking ok. Have to push start for starting.
Check neutral,not in reverse,kill switch not on,alarm disable ,fuel sensor ok.
any others ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It should still be under waranty, let the dealer fix it and get it documented.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Side stand clear UP??

bmarvin16 said:
06 k12lt anyone having problems w/starting? I ride to work,bike sets all day and late evenings ride home but may not start some times, cranking ok. Have to push start for starting.
Check neutral,not in reverse,kill switch not on,alarm disable ,fuel sensor ok.
any others ideas? :confused:
Good luck...................sometimes a electrical switch problem is hard to find. Could even be a loose wire connector too.

I keep my side stand lubed good so it slaps UP so I don't have to worry about it not being clear up.

just my 2 cents worth!

Merry Christmas all!

I'm good today in NW MO as the ice storm has past and I took a 150 mile RIDE TODAY. Bilke had to sit for 8 1/2 days due to the ice. UGH! And it started right up today after the long sit!!!!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
grifscoots said:
Sometimes you have to give them a leetle throttle on start up.
I have to second this. I find that just giving the throttle a little blip and then hitting the starter does the trick for me. YMMV

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Shouldn't have to touch the throttle or push it off. If it don't start when you push the button, it's broke, bring it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a K1200LT 2007 BMW. I bought this bike new in 2007 and there are times it wont start. Only when I let it coast downhill and shift into 1st gear will it start. I have taken it to two authorized BMW repair shops and they cant seem to fix the problem. The dealer did tell me when I bought the bike not to kill the engine with that little kill switch on the right handlebar because this bike is notorious for going bad and is expensive to fix. Is there anyone out there that can reccomend a first rate mechanic???

Thanks!
Ed Calfee

865 705 2262
[email protected]

·
Registered
989 Posts
calfee1945 said:
... there are times it wont start. ... The dealer did tell me when I bought the bike not to kill the engine with that little kill switch on the right handlebar ...
Ed, please elaborate: it won't start = cranks but does not fire? Or, does not crank?

Regarding kill switch: I did not hear about them going bad, but this practice can cause other problems.

If you use the handlebar kill switch, engine stops but all electrics are still on. If you then neglect to turn ignition key off, you are risking draining the battery. Trouble at next start at best, ABS fault or damaged starter relay at worst. Better get into the habit of using only ignition switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts