BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dealing with this for two weeks now.

I pulled the battery from the K1200lt and charged it.
I put the battery back in the bike, connecting positve leads first.
Key = ON,I clicked the left "A" button on the security fob and then hit the start button.
-----------NOTHING HAPPENS---------------

I try several more times and nothing happens, the security lights don't flash. Basically when I hit the "A" button on the security fob, the bike does not react at all, no blinking lights or clicking what so ever.

----------- I follow the forum reprogramming instructions found on this site------------
Click "A" button once,
Ground the white/brown wire plug to the battery,
Clickk "A" two more times,
turn the key to the ON position and wait for the bike to enter the program mode
Again, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I have tried this several times over the past few days and now I'm running out of patience.

The bike is acting like it doesn't recognize the security key fob at all. Pushing buttons on the fob do not make the bike react.

I need serious help to get this bike moving again. Also, when I do get this bike running I desperately want to remove the security feature entirely from the bike. I am stranded by this immobility feature and totally frustrated by the fact that everything else on this bike is in perfect working order....I just can't get past the security system.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Make sure you have not missed any wire connectors to the + on the battery as it sounds like you have . . Regards numbnuts in blighty .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the battery connections mulitple times, just to be sure, I ran out and looked again. I don't believe the battery connections are the problem.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
How may fobs do you have? Did you try them both?
Do you see the led on the key fob flash when you press it?
Have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? I believe it takes a CR2032.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one key fob.
The battery in the fob is good, the led light on the fob turns RED when either the "A" or "B" button is pressed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem last year two days before a 1,000 trip. Somewhere on this site I found information on how to dismantle the entire security system by splicing a few wires under the rear trunk assembly. I did this and the bike started right up. Needless to say, the security system is on the shelf and will never be reinstalled as long as I have the bike. I just don't like the uncertainty of being away from home and something like this happening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can find that post about splicing wires and permanently dismantling the security system, I will do it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
A friend was over a while back and after a few hours he went to start the bike to leave and nothing happened, like the battery was dead. We tried everything, pushed everything there was on the bike, charged the battery still nothing. He called for a tow truck and while we were waiting I said lets try bump starting it can't hurt. He got on and I pushed him a few feet he let out the clutch in second gear and it fired right up! He let it run for a few mins and shut it off and everything was normal after that, really strange and it has never happened again. He did take it to the dealer for a look over and they found nothing and could not explain it either.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
When I had the battery out for the clutch job I had to cycle the alarm on and off a couple of time before everything worked right.You may give that a try. Bypassing instructions are in the "Files" "Technical" area and are pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The techincal file for bypassing the alarm is for a 2005 and up. I have a 2000, but I will remove the top case and look at the 12 pin connector. If all looks right according to the file, I will start jumpering the pins in the order described in the document and see where that leaves me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to replace the battery with an Odyssey 680 first. I have found the current battery drained down many times over the past two years, so a fresh battery is a good place to start. After that, I will tear into that top box and start splicing.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
gramiras said:
The techincal file for bypassing the alarm is for a 2005 and up. I have a 2000, but I will remove the top case and look at the 12 pin connector. If all looks right according to the file, I will start jumpering the pins in the order described in the document and see where that leaves me.
This should help on the early bike. I don't have the pictures but you should not need them.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I only need two jumpers (#3 to #4, and #5 to #6). ???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not the best document but there are pics here. When I took my alarm out I made some jumpers for the plug for those 4 wires but I didn't feel as though they fit well even when I taped them in. So, I took them out and just used two of those blue wire connectors that you squeeze together that have a clip that snaps to keep them in place right before the wires go into the connector. I also taped over those. It has been several months since I did that and no problems so far.

Good Luck,
Dave

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Follow Daves diagram as I think what I posted is for the early standard alarms (2001 to 2003). The 99 and 2000 did not come with a factory alarm they were installed by the dealers. But yes you are looking to enable the fuel pump and the starter relay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Instead of jumpers, I spliced the wires together about 2 inches below the connector. I don't trust the press quick connectors. I soldiered the wires together then cover with heated shrink wrap. This way you will not have a problem later with a bad connector. If you wish to reinstall the security system, you can just unsoldier and splice back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
scary, yes. Yet very necessary for me anyway. I have, over the past year spent $2,453 on "maintenance" at the local BMW shop in San Jose. With all that money spent, I expect to be able to ride the bike, and not be turned away because of an unecessary feature that has nothing to do with the "performance" of the machine.

The bike could potentially "lock me out" at any low voltage moment caused by a weak battery. This could happen on a cross country ride, miles from help or dealership assistance, let alone web access to this site and the wealth of knowledge from it's members.

The K1200LT is the best touring machine running, provided that it is indeed running. Without the help of the active members on this site willing to post advice, the K1200LT could be more of a technical challenge than most riders are willing to suffer.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I saw a thread similar to this one a few months ago and sent it to my Blackberry via email. Put the text of the email in a memo on the BB so that if it DOES happen to me in a galaxy far far away I will have the instructions to McGyver it back to life.

I like having the alarm on when I park the bike at night at the hospital. We seem to have some "unsavory" types around here from time to time.........

·
Registered
233 Posts
I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW THE ALARM WORKS

The previous owner said I needed the fob near the bike but I've proved that untrue.
The buttons don't seem to do anything. Do I even need that thing if I don't use it?

The central locking feature I totally don't understand. But now my battery is dead!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts