BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I might be wrong....I am thinking I slowly drained my battery over the weekend by leaving the Reverse Selector in... Ahhhh.... R.

I went on a road trip Thursday...parked the LT in a garage that night (backed in using R). Today, I went to get her out for my return trip...and oopse.. sorry.. not enough gusto to turn her over.... I noticed I left the selector in R....grrrr

Found a nearby hill... and she fired right up.... and is running fine now.

So... if you happen to do what I did, and it IS true that if you leave the selector in Reverse, a solenoid will remain engaged...don't do it! Put it back to F.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Ditto,

Some thing else has drained the battery. Those switches merely transfer the output of the starter button from the starter relay to the reverser controller to run the starter motor.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Did not leave the radio on, did you? Or, something plugged into the aux socket?

Don't forget, the first "off" position of the keyswitch leaves these loads still powered. Only "lock" position kills all.

And, of course, a bad battery is a very real possibility.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I left the reverse in all the time when at home without draining the battery. Probably yours is about due for change. I found leaving it in reverse as a way to delay thiefs from starting it if they broke into the house and got the keys. They take a lot of cars that way around here now due to improved security on the vehicle. After all we own the bike and how many of us have tried to start it in reverse and taken a while to work out why it wont work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... It could very well have been the radio...... I wouldn't have noticed it as I was distracted by the reverse switch... and then when it didn't have the juice to fire it up, thinking about how I was going to get her going again.... much appreciated. She seems fine now.

Now that iPod harness I got last fall...... anybody know of a fix for that draining the battery? I know I know read the archives.... I just had to ask. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't think the radio is to blame on the 03's, I could be wrong however. I'd start with the aftermarket farkels if you have any.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have had two things drain the battery: trunk light, and parking light.

I had a Gold Wing before the LT, and on the Wing the most counter-clockwise position was locked and off. On the LT, that's the second to the last position -- the last one leaves a small bulb in the headlight assembly on. I asked the DW for a bottle of cheap red nail polish and painted a line on the ignition switch where the key slot should be when it's really off. That's saved my bacon a couple of times.

I've also found during the winter with the radio, grip heat, seat heat, and aftermarket lights all on, after a week of 10 mile each way commutes, the battery was dragging. An overnight session on the Battery Tender brought it back to snuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts