BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

Hey, I was wondering who people use for insurance companies and what rates they have quoted yall on your LT's ??

I was asking because I thought mine was strange ... it is through Grange... and was quoted $973.00 a year, for a 2008 K1200LT. Im 43 yrs and 3 to 4 yrs clean record. Nothing while on my motorcycle.

So just curious, but still looking, but on hold for right now till closer to season.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The annual rate for full coverage on the '07 LT from Progressive was $590.75 last year. By comparison, my annual rate on the '16 GTLE is $1,476.75 for maximum coverage (67 yrs. old, clean driving/riding record - had a performance award a couple of years ago, but traffic school cleared that). I shopped around and couldn't find any other insurer offering much different rates for the Los Angeles area.... My riding buddy, however, only pays something less than $400 annually for liability coverage on his 4 BMW bikes. He is willing to absorb the risk of loss, rationalizing that his savings over time would pay off.

I would imagine that rates would be cheaper in your area (smaller population density and shortened riding season). I skipped riding through the local canyons today to have lunch along the Pacific Coast Highway with my buddy, as it's my anniversary. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Progressive, half of what I was paying through State Farm - I think SF was buying it from Progressive and reselling to me!

Insurance rates are pretty regional so difficult to compare.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Hello all-

Hey, I was wondering who people use for insurance companies and what rates they have quoted yall on your LT's ??

I was asking because I thought mine was strange ... it is through Grange... and was quoted $973.00 a year, for a 2008 K1200LT. Im 43 yrs and 3 to 4 yrs clean record. Nothing while on my motorcycle.

So just curious, but still looking, but on hold for right now till closer to season.

Mike
$196 a year with a Progressive for my 2007 LT insured with them since I bought it new. I think my premium was close to $300 the first year, but dropped $20 or so each year until hitting $189 last year. It rose a little this year. I am 57 with clean record for at least 25 years.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I was with Nationwide for 33 years. They were unbeatable for many years. Once Peyton Manning started doing ads for Nationwide, the auto rates soared. My agent couldn't tell me why. The rep at corporate couldn't tell me why. I decided I couldn't afford to pay Peyton Manning's salary and moved my auto policy to Erie Insurance. Erie was roughly half of Nationwide. The policy on my LT was not due until the end of Dec., since I pay it yearly. It's been covered under Nationwide's powersports division since 2010. The rate went up $27 since 2015. I called around, but nobody beat Nationwide's $307 rate for the year. I'm just glad this division wasn't paying for Peyton to sing the jingle.

I heard many years ago that insurance sales jobs were for people too timid to say, "Stick 'em up!" >:)

Hope this doesn't cause this thread to be moved to the Humor Section! :grin:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I was with Nationwide for 33 years. They were unbeatable for many years. Once Peyton Manning started doing ads for Nationwide, the auto rates soared. My agent couldn't tell me why. The rep at corporate couldn't tell me why. I decided I couldn't afford to pay Peyton Manning's salary and moved my auto policy to Erie Insurance. Erie was roughly half of Nationwide. The policy on my LT was not due until the end of Dec., since I pay it yearly. It's been covered under Nationwide's powersports division since 2010. The rate went up $27 since 2015. I called around, but nobody beat Nationwide's $307 rate for the year. I'm just glad this division wasn't paying for Peyton to sing the jingle.

I heard many years ago that insurance sales jobs were for people too timid to say, "Stick 'em up!" >:)

Hope this doesn't cause this thread to be moved to the Humor Section! :grin:
Interesting you mention Erie. I have had Erie for more than 30 years for auto, home and umbrella liability. They insured my 1987 Kawasaki Voyager for most of the 17 years I owned it. I don't recall when, but sometime before I sold it in 2004, Erie dropped motorcycle coverage. My agent switched me to Progressive and I have been with them since. I am now in diamond status and both my collision and comprehensive deductibles have "vanished" to use Progressive's terminology.

My agent told me last year that Erie was planning to offer motorcycle coverage again, but I never heard anything more and I doubt they would beat my current deal with Progressive.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Allstate, $251.00/year for three bikes.
No tickets or accidents.
Have my car and one home with them also.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not an LT, but I have Foremost and pay $135/year for full coverage on a 2000 RT. 42, been riding about 6 years, no serious tickets and live in Atlanta metro area.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have had the Geico lizard for over 30 years. I have four bikes insured one with a sidecar. Would have to ask the wife for sure but I think its about $350/year for all. Full coverage on two. Get a quote.

Robert

·
Registered
207 Posts
I see that some of the above post are ridiculously high, unless it has something to do with the state your living in. I'm 65, clean record, and have been with the Lizard (GEICO) for over 40 years. My full coverage with 50.00 deductible on my 2006 LT is 104.00 per year. Multiple vehicle discount as i have a truck and car also insured with them. I've never been able to find a better price.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I have Allstate & always seem to have a few to several points on my driving record. I think I loose 4 points this June. My 2000 LT with full coverage plus a $5000 rider for aftermarket add on's cost me about $400 per year.

I did have to fight them a little to get them to pay me the replacement cost for all of my protective gear on the last bike I totaled. They also have a limit of $800 that they will pay for a helmet.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
My 08 RT is costing $280 per year through Progressive. I see other Progressive numbers are lower. I am just wondering if it has to do with certain States. I also have my car and home insured through them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
rates go by city/regions as a base then go up from there from type of bike to your record.. my insurance company wont even insure my rc51:crying:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting to read what insurance costs over the pond in the States.

Here in the UK, we have the strange situation at the moment where comprehensive cover often costs less than Third Party only (what you refer to as Liability only). I believe its because the stats show more claims on that sort of policy!

I have my '99 LT fully covered on a Classic Vehicle policy for £90 a year.
My '07 R1200GS is on a normal comprehensive policy and last year cost £50 by going via a cashback website.

Even for youngsters its not too bad at the moment, my 23yr old son pays £130 to insure his Yamaha 600 Diversion (I think they were called the Seca in the USA).

Although, just like its already been mentioned, the price varies greatly from one area to the next, with London rates being especially scary. Glad I don't live anywhere near that place!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I pay $135/yr with Progressive. My rate nearly halved when I moved from Prince George, VA to Queensbury, NY. I think they are under the impression that I wouldn't ride as often because it's colder in upstate NY during some of the months.

·
Registered
233 Posts
about the same for me in CT. two BMWs and about $300 total, almost $200 before I got the LT.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the info... I found out what I was quoted was correct, but they ran it with my wife added, also went thru another company with them and its now like 350 a year. And the great news, it looks like I found my new ride ;) details will follow... likely be about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
rates go by city/regions as a base then go up from there from type of bike to your record.. my insurance company wont even insure my rc51:crying:
You also need to look at the type of coverage you are buying and the deductibles. They also take age into consideration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts