BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing FD fluid in prep for a trip, and got a wild hair up my butt to "flush" the unit just to see what might come out. Decided on light motor oil. If I had some ATF laying around, I would probably have used that instead of motor oil. Put the bike on the center stand, filled the FD with the oil, then idled the motor while in 2nd gear for about 5 min. Drained the motor oil out, which ran very clean, then filled with gear lube.
Think I went a little extreme?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hard to say..
Whatever gives you the "warm fuzzy feeling".

later..Randy

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Was changing FD fluid in prep for a trip, and got a wild hair up my butt to "flush" the unit just to see what might come out. Decided on light motor oil. If I had some ATF laying around, I would probably have used that instead of motor oil. Put the bike on the center stand, filled the FD with the oil, then idled the motor while in 2nd gear for about 5 min. Drained the motor oil out, which ran very clean, then filled with gear lube.
Think I went a little extreme?
An ounce of prevention (or several ounces in your case)...:rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
FYI…kerosene also works really well to flush engines, final drives, trannys, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I expect no harm. My only concern would be that you let the engine oil drain out for long enough to get all meaningful amount out.

Next drain, consider sending a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I send engine, gearbox, and FD samples.

Buy the lab work online in advance. If you prepay for six you get them for $20 each, as opposed to $25 at time of service. Even if you do not prepay, order the free sampling and mailing containers in advance so you have them on hand.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did drain it out. I've sampled the FD before. All was good, then it failed. Would appear that the damage comes on very quickly. So, I'll not bother sampling it any further, but continue with the engine and transmission.
I use Schaeffer oils, and they'll sample for $9 ea. Hard to beat.

·
Registered
860 Posts
FYI…kerosene also works really well to flush engines, final drives, trannys, etc.
Kerosene??? I've used tranny fluid as an engine flush... but Kerosene??? I may have to try that out...

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Why not use the spec FD oil and change it after 500 mi. That's what the auto dealerships do. This keeps the fluids compatible. After all, gravity pulls the impurities down to the drain plug. When I worked at Chevron lubricant testing lab, we would do a 30 minute pre-test flush using a neutral oil that was the same weight as the test oil. And BTW, I'm a flusher too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts