BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a female rider, very experienced but new to BMW. Currently have K1600GTL with about 15,000 miles on it. Love the bike. Would like an Adventure. Need input on various possible, reasonable configurations. I'm 5'6 with 31" inseam. Is there any way to configure a 1200GS or, better yet a GSA, so I can ride it?

·
Registered
747 Posts
With some gymnastics re mounting and dismounting, its possible for short people to ride tall bikes. There are plenty of guys who don'twant to do this and find both bikes too tall for normal use- includes me- and I'm 6 ft with a similar inseam. But I've got shorter friends who don't mind it.

A lowered GS is about as short as it gets for those. Its pretty much adapt to it or forget it.

Pretty much everything with offroad capability today is tall.

A F700GS might suit you better if you worry about height. We've recently add a pair of F twins to our heavier bikes specifically for the lighter handling.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Don't forget that BMW addressed this issue in the 2014 models. On their web site is a section devoted to seat height. The RT is lower, the GS has the choice of three different seats and each has two positions. I suspect you would have no problem with a new GS and the low seat since you are motivated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi. I'm a female rider, very experienced but new to BMW. Currently have K1600GTL with about 15,000 miles on it. Love the bike. Would like an Adventure. Need input on various possible, reasonable configurations. I'm 5'6 with 31" inseam. Is there any way to configure a 1200GS or, better yet a GSA, so I can ride it?
I'm 5'-9" with 29" inseam and have no issues riding a GSA or my much taller Yamaha WR250R or my K1600GT with Russell Day-Long saddle, which is effectively as tall as a 1200GS and 300 pounds heavier. And I am 70 years old.

I simply lean the bike to the left enough to get solid toe plant. Practice on a 250 pound dirt bike if you have a friend with one. After one day on a 38.6" seat height 250 dirt bike, the on-off and starting off and stopping techniques will become second nature.

Jim Puckett
Midland MI

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I know im late to the thread, you can have shocks built for your height, I have swapped my wifes custom built shocks from her R1200GS to my R1200GSA and let her ride it for a while, she has a 27" inseam and did fine with the bike

you can also just put a set of gs shocks on it and drop it almost one inch, my GSA has GS shocks on it now as I reinjured my leg so needed/ wanted it a tad lower, I have a 31" inseam and can flat foot the bike now

I can suggest using http://epmperf.com/ to build you shocks, he has made every set of ours perfect the first time and his customer service is 2nd to none

tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
With some gymnastics re mounting and dismounting, its possible for short people to ride tall bikes. There are plenty of guys who don'twant to do this and find both bikes too tall for normal use- includes me- and I'm 6 ft with a similar inseam. But I've got shorter friends who don't mind it.

A lowered GS is about as short as it gets for those. Its pretty much adapt to it or forget it.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt NOt, build custom shocks.........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can suggest using http://epmperf.com/ to build you shocks, he has made every set of ours perfect the first time and his customer service is 2nd to none

tom
I also use Klaus Huenecke at EPM Performance Imports for all my shock and spring work, but never to lower any bike. I'm the 265 pound 5'-9" person with 29" inseam that loves to ride really tall bikes. Getting ready to have Klaus do my 2013 G650 GS with Russell Day-Long saddle. After Klaus finishes, it will be even taller :D

Jim Puckett
Midland MI

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I also use Klaus Huenecke at EPM Performance Imports for all my shock and spring work, but never to lower any bike. I'm the 265 pound 5'-9" person with 29" inseam that loves to ride really tall bikes. Getting ready to have Klaus do my 2013 G650 GS with Russell Day-Long saddle. After Klaus finishes, it will be even taller :D

Jim Puckett
Midland MI

I had him build a set of taller shocks for my '02 K1200LT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts