BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took my 2003 BMW K1200LT out for a short trip. Before I left I checked to make sure right air pressure in F R tires. After riding on in city road bike started wobbling on steady speeds or on decelaration. I pulled over at a stop to see if I had in fact had a flat tire as that is kind of what it felt like, but no not this time. I turned around to nurse it back to my house and then at an intersection I lost all electrical. Loosing electrical I think it is probably a fuse somewhere but the wobbling I have no idea what to look for. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what to look for for my problem. Bike is parked in a dry garage with a clean floor and have seen no fluid leaks of any kind.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
You could do a search and find lots of info. I had severe wobbling between 38 and 42 mph especially on deceleration, I found it to be tire wear, new tires solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
x2..........Mine just started the tank hammerin' routine.....checked the front and found some cupping to start...........wear bars are close so-o-o-o........will mount a new one this week-end.......... :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both Front and Rear tires are new with less than 100 miles on them. Although I did check and did not find any cupping. That was one reason I replaced them as the old ones were definitely cupped

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Opinions vary. Mine says that one of your new tires (likely the front) has a stretched bead. There is no way that I know of to check for and confirm a stretched bead. There are also numerous mechanical situations which can cause the tank slappers.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
just do a search on "wobble" and then look at the "similar threads" below also... you'll find the question raised over and over again.... either bad batch of tyres or stretched tyres during mounting, or cupping or something... but its always tyres. Mine eventually went away after 2 new sets a couple of years back, just starting to get it back again on a well worn front (over 20,000km's)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Had a similar problem with my goldwing, turned out it was a bad tire on the front. Brand new, but not round. I put the bike up on the center stand, and weighted the back to get the front tire off the ground, made a gauge out of a 2x4 and a nail for reference, put the nail up against the tire, and rotated the tire, it was easily visible to see the tire was not in a perfectly round rotation. I also had a tire mounted on my old yami, where the bead was not seated properly, and that caused an incredible wobble. Check it out...may require a trip back to the tire seller...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts