BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has decided--we are taking a trip to the great State of Wisconsin. So, what are the roads, routes, best sights and good eats? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have enjoyed the north regions nearing the border of Michigan. Spooner, Hayward, Park Falls, Eagle River, Boulder Juntion, Rhinelander are all nice areas to ride up north.

We have also heard of some great rides all along the river from the southwest corner up to Superior.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not knowing the point of entry into our state--I'd recommend riding north along side of the Iowa-Minnesota border, along the Mississippi river. It's probably the most scenic, heading north towards La Cross.
I'd also recommend obtaining a Wisconsin Tourist guide--available from their website, or I can send you one.
It's always nice to see an other BMW in Harley country.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you are interested in hilly, curvey roads, Southwestern Wisconsin is a great place to start. The area west of Madison to the Mississippi and north to LaCross is especially nice.

Milwaukee map company has good maps of the state. Or maybe a Delorme state atlas would be helpful as well. Make sure you find and ride on some "alphabet" roads. So called by their letter names- HH, W, Z, etc.

The ride north along the river from Prarie du Chein to LaCrosse is nice and scenic and relaxing. Have some Walleye or Perch for dinner.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Highway 33 from Reedsburg to LaCrosse is nice, especially west of Wonewoc

Highway 60 from Sauk City to Prarie Du Chien is more of a "touring" road (not extremely curvy) but is pretty.

Highway 14 from Madison to LaCrosse is nice

Highway 27 from Prarie Du Chien to Sparta is fantastic

Pretty much any county road in the box of Sauk Prarie, Prarie du Chien, LaCrosse, and Mauston is good. The area is mostly hilly, rural, farm areas with Amish farms and natural beauty.

Highway 35 along the Mississippi from LaCrosse to Prarie du Chien isn't a challenging ride, but is very pretty.

Highway 171 from west of Richland Center west to Highway 35 is also a beautiful ride.

I grew up in Baraboo and typically make a trip there (about two hours), ride the backroads around Baraboo all day and daylight runs out before the good roads do.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The other Pikes Peak in Iowa looks over Praire du Chein , great view ! Then ride either side of the Mississippi up to Redwing WI .
Bob G

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another nice area to ride is Door county northeast of Green Bay. A lot of nice roads and a bunch of touristy towns to stop in.

Marty :bmw:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great ideas...was kind of hoping somebody would give me a great route, with cool stops and good eats...all with a nice bow. :D Guess, I will have to do some work and put it together myself with all this good info...oh, the drudgery. :histerica

·
Registered
832 Posts
wrmoss said:
Thanks for the great ideas...was kind of hoping somebody would give me a great route, with cool stops and good eats...all with a nice bow. :D Guess, I will have to do some work and put it together myself with all this good info...oh, the drudgery. :histerica
I thought about it, but you didn't give preferences for types of riding that you like, time frame, budget, hotels or camping, etc. What's a travel planner to do.....? :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
When in Wisconsin's small towns and looking for a meal, Pick the crowded bar. There is a reason why one will be full and the other is empty. The beer is the same but the food isn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts