BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my defective, not working, junk led break lights with the original three bulbs. When I removed the led lights and re-wired the original bulbs (the did the led install) I noticed that the center bulb had only two wires going to it... ground and tail light while the other two outside bulbs had ground, tail light and break light. Configured like this only the two outside bulbs will come on at break intensity when the break is applied. I call my dealer and talk to the service dept and they tell me that yup that's the way it works.
I believe that all three lights act as tail and break (can't honestly say I remember looking) and therefore would need a jumper from one of the outside bulbs to the center one. Does this sound right?
This is the time when I hate being the only LT owner in the neighborhood...

BTW mine is a '03....
thanks..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your dealer is correct. There are three lights in the tail light housing. The center bulb is only a tail light. The two outside bulbs are tail and brake lights. All LT's are this way. It is hard to see this when you are sitting on the seat.

Take Care

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron,
I appreciate you looking.... I wonder if there is a problem with also making the center a break light?? The bulb is double element. The only thing I can think of is that if may muck up the ABS fault light... Has anyone made this change by using a jumper??

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
ratorino2004 said:
Thanks Ron,
I appreciate you looking.... I wonder if there is a problem with also making the center a break light?? The bulb is double element. The only thing I can think of is that if may muck up the ABS fault light... Has anyone made this change by using a jumper??
It should work but it might trigger an ABS fault. A number of riders did this on pre-2002 models, but they don't monitor taillight current. The reason BMW did not make the center bulb a brakelight is that it shares duty as a license plate light.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy
thanks for the info.. I might just try a jumper and see if it causes any problems. If it's going to cause an ABS fault it shouldn't take long...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
If you are jumping from one of the other brake lights to the brake filament in the center bulb - it won't cause an ABS fault. The system (integral) monitors only the tail light filament of the center bulb and nothing else in the tail assembly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
RatoRino204

"This is the time when I hate being the only LT owner in the neighborhood..."

House for sale just around the corner up here.........

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Center Bulb wired for Brake light

ratorino2004 said:
Thanks Ron,
Way back in the archives this was discussed. I did this in 2000 to my 2000KLT and it has worked without problems since.
I considered it a conspicuity issue and wondered why BMW didn't wire it as a brake light in the first place. IIRC there was a dual filament bulb in there with one filament doing nothing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I jumped the center light to one of the side brake lights on my 2002 and have had no problems....

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I made up a jumper and all is well. Conspicuity and the real bad Florida cage drivers has always been my concern. The jumper will be easy enough to pull off if there is a problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts