BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-installing the stingray on my 02 LTE and have a two-pronged female connector that is coming from behind the middle, 4-pronged connector (please see attached pictures) and am unable to determine where it plugs into. In one of the pictures, I am pointing to the 4-pronged connector that is where this wire is coming out of from the backside. I have identified all the other connectors with the exception of this wire. It is about three feet in length but for the life of me, I cannot find where it plugs into.

I know this may be a tough question to answer if you do not have your bike's tupperware off and possibly stingray. I have reference the Clymer's manual and BMW shop manual but they were of little help to me with this problem.

Does anyone know where this wire plugs to, if at all? Could this wire be a renegade wire with no end connection. I would think it highly unlikely, but who knows.

Thanks once again,

James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I've never had the stingray off but that 2 pin connector looks like one of the connectors for the powerlet.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
morley's right. It's for the back-side of a Powerlet port. Near the left foot...or possibly an additional one installed somewhere else by the previous owner.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I checked the left foot powerlet and found that their is an existing connector there (please see picture) so I am not quite sure as to what to make of this wire. The PO had installed PIAA's, XM satellite, Valentine Detector, and SmartTire Pressure System.

Their is an identical set of wires, like the above pictured, on the opposite side of the bike but no additional outlet is installed on that side.

I have looked up into the nose cone area to see if their are any vacant connectors and do not find any. I have double-checked the stingray and nothing there either.

Should I proceed and hook up all the other wiring and see what, if anything, does not work after starting and operating the bike? When I tore the bike down, I do not recollect removing this wire from a connection. Then again, it was two months ago when I did that too.

Thanks for the advice,

James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There is also a powerlet connector on the RH side that is tiewrapped to the frame (no outlet on the RH side). Check to see if that might be it.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
James the wire you are holding in the picture on this post is to the power outlet in the lower fairing. My bike has power outlets on both sides. I know that most are wired for two outlets but most have only one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success! I have found the wire. I want to thank everyone for their input. I was scrolling through my pictures again that I took when I disassembled and came upon an interesting photo. It was the image of the connector wire I was trying to find the end for.

As it turns out, the connector is right under the seat. I have included a picture to show you the picture I took a couple of months ago.

Thanks again for everyone's input. This site is a true life-saver.

Regards,

James

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RaffyK said:
Ok, you got me now. What does it power?
Raffy, I will have to look and see where the wiring leads. Will check tomorrow and post what I find.

James

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Seat Heat

Is it for the front seat heating ? Seems as though the cable length is a bit too long

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hilton said:
Is it for the front seat heating ? Seems as though the cable length is a bit too long
The front seat heater connector is right next to it, so it is for something other than the front seat heater. I took a quick look this morning at the wire but was unable to make a good determination yet. I know the connecting wire it goes to splits into two wires and one of them went to a white Bosch connector. I will look where the other one travels this evening.

James

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RaffyK said:
Thanks. I'm curious since I don't recall seeing one under the seat before.
Okay, just got back from inspecting the wiring and here goes. The green/brown wire connector in question plugs into a mating connector (as shown in the last previous picture). This connector has a green/brown wire that travels and is then joined with a red and a white wire (these are all encased in black, plastic tubing) where they all connect into a white, Bosch connector that sits right next to the spring adjuster knob.

From this white, Bosch wire connector, two wires travel back I believe. One to a metal ground post and the other to the positive post (with a fuse tailored into the wiring) onto the battery .

I'm definitely not an expert on wiring and am not sure if this helps to understand these connections.

Ride Safe,

James

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RaffyK said:
Do you have auxiliary lights on the bike or any other item that you did not install (CB, GPS, intercom, radar detector)?
Yes, it is the LTE so it has the factory GPS, intercom, CB and the PO had added PIAA lights, XM Satellite, Valentine One and Smart Tire Pressure monitoring system. I presume that with the addition of these items came the modification with the wiring.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RaffyK said:
If you really want to know quickly, you can pull the in-line fuse and see which of the 3 (PIAA, XM or V1) will not work.
Sounds like a plan. Will do. Thanks Raffy.

Now all that I've got left is to get the stingray screwed back in properly and take her for a test run to check for leaks. Can't wait to hit that starter button. It's been way too long!!!

James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts