BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may of read my earlier post about loose wires under my recently bought '03 LT Custom. I had three connectors that were loose, while digging around trying to figure why the Midland CB doesn't work. I dicovered a 4th wire!!! After doing a the usual careful Cajun/Redneck examination (IE, touch them to the battery and flip switches and see what happens :histerica ). I was able to get the fog lamps on the front tire to work, Woot!.

Now I got these last two wires left. The have a BMW sticker with part numbers on it, and the both appear to got into a Bosch Relay (Might be a relay.) One has a red band near the end and the other has a orange band. When you touch one ( believe the red one) of them to the positive terminal, it shorts out the bike. Well as much as I was listening to the radio with the key in the accesory posistion. I touched the post with the wire, sparks flew, radio cut out and I went inside for another beer.

As these two appear to be factory installed, I was wondering if other LT owners have a clue as to what they are for, and where they go. IE, if ya got a '03 look under you seat seat and tell me, :D .

As for while the Midland CB doesn't work, I don't have a clue. I removed from the base and brought it inside and wired it 12v power source. It came on fine. I guess I'll need to radio shack and get a cheap volt meter to trace the loss of power.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
The PN on the cable appears to be comm related but does not show up in a parts search. The rest is anybody's guess. I worked on one a while back that had no less than two extra fuse blocks and 12 relays added over factory stuff (and at least a mile of wiring). I think your leads were disconnected for a good reason given the results you found when touching them to the battery.

I fat fingered the PN, it crosses to:99000001788
[99000001788] Retail Price: $65.00
Our Price: $65.00
ACCESSORY PWR RELAY S

Perhaps it was there to power some added accessory that has been removed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jzeiler, at least I got a somewhat of a start. Being that it's a 2003 LT Custom, and the wires are tagged with a BMW number. I was hoping at least a start before removing all of the tupperware and doing a wire by wire trace. As you might be able to see in the photos, the wiring is from either from factory or dealer installed equipment.

After installing my Zumo 660, I realized on how many wires there were on this bike.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks to me like the relay for the comm system power, I did an upgarde to my 00 to install stock intercom (came off a wrecked bike and didnt include all the cables) and had to buy that cable as well as the leads from the intercom pigtails to headset pigtails...it comes as a kit...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts