BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange problem which I think may be wiring related but I have no idea how to trouble shoot this one.

The headlight, taillight and dash lights all go out periodically for a few seconds (1 -5 seconds). I assume there all going out because they are on the same fuse. Friends that I was riding with were telling me this but I couldn't see any pattern when I was riding. Today I just left the bike in the garage and started it. Rocking the bike did not cause the lights to flash but giving hard throttle caused the light to go out. I recently had my local dealer install Ohlin shocks and the problem seems to have started about the same time. He also did the 60K service and replaced a headlight.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not sure, but . . .

Check the negative pole of the battery and the ground to the frame. The Hi beam, right turn, left turn, speedometer, and ABS warning lights on the instrument panel all connect directly to the negative pole. So do the low beam headlight, high beam headlight, left and right front turn signals, right horn, left horn, brake light relay, brake lightbulbs, left and right rear turn signal bulbs, flasher unit, and a bunch of other stuff. If your dealer unhooked the battery when doing the service the feeds to the negative pole may not have gotten tightened up, and vibration may cause you to lose the circuits intermittantly. Good luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Check the connections on the starter. That provides the ground for the load shed relay and if loose can cause the relay to cut out producing the symptoms you described. Notice how all that stuff goes out when you crank the engine?

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
TonyStanley said:
I have a strange problem which I think may be wiring related but I have no idea how to trouble shoot this one.

The headlight, taillight and dash lights all go out periodically for a few seconds (1 -5 seconds). I assume there all going out because they are on the same fuse. Friends that I was riding with were telling me this but I couldn't see any pattern when I was riding. Today I just left the bike in the garage and started it. Rocking the bike did not cause the lights to flash but giving hard throttle caused the light to go out. I recently had my local dealer install Ohlin shocks and the problem seems to have started about the same time. He also did the 60K service and replaced a headlight.

Any ideas?
It is probably the bolts that hold the starter on. As was said in a post above, they provide the ground path for the load shed relay. As you rev the engine, the vibration will cause the loose starter to shake on the bolts, the ground path for the load shed relay becomes interrupted and all the items controlled by that circuit will lose power. You can look down from under the riders seat and see the top bolt. A very long flat head screwdriver can be used to tighten the bolt enough to stop the problem, but you will need a stubby ball head allen driver to get the bolt tight. There is also one on the bottom of the starter that you cannot see from above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am experiencing exactly the same issue with my 2002 LT. Hit about 4K on the revs and all the lights go out. A local repair guy has the bike right now trying to trace down the problem. Have to go out of town to the BMW dealer, so figured I'd give this guy a shot first.

Can you tell me where/which fuse goes to the headlight? This guy said he pulled every fuse from the three boxes under the seat and the headlight stayed on. And where is the relay located?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fixed! Forget that last post...the problem was a loose starter bolt. Tightened it, and all is good now. Just wish I'd seen this thread before taking it to the shop! Oh well.

Now if I can just get my Navigator to turn on...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exact same problem hear "the lights" go out at around 4grand. Tend to come back at 6500 or so, but flicker. Check the load relief last weak and that was a big waste of time.
I can now get the plastics of and back on including tank in two hours.

Checking that bolt I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks guys for all the great info.

Randy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. I feel quite the bone for asking this as I have found the starter, but which bolt/screw am I looking for? The one on the top seems to be tight. Is there another one I should be looking for? I see nothing that requires a flat head screwdriver or allen wrench? :(
Note: I have the manual, but its been all but useless. Praying I don't have to take this thing apart AGAIN.

2002 K1200LT also btw.

Thanks again.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
The electrical connections are what you should be checking as well as the pyhsical mounting bolts. That is the path for the ground on the load shed relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jzeiler said:
The electrical connections are what you should be checking as well as the pyhsical mounting bolts. That is the path for the ground on the load shed relay.
Got her fix. There was a good reason I couldn't find the bolt everyone was talking about. Turns out that bolt came loose andfell out.
Put new bolt in with locktite and bam she's good to go.

FYI: Still for sale and the first $8000 get her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts