BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some Hyperlight brake lights to mount under the luggage rack / top brake light and am wondering the best place to splice into the brake wiring - inside the top rack or inside the top case lid? Any ideas from those who have done this already? Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Most of the Hyper-Lites I've seen, including the ones I have on my bike are mounted under the tail light lens and spaced about the width of the tag. Some mount them vertically on the sides of the recess of the tag section. Others mount them Horizontally like I did above the tag.

That makes it easy to just remove the entire lens assembly by opening the saddlebags and removing that chromed 10mm bolt on each side and the whole lens will come out. I used those little round Posi-Tap post to attach into the three wires needed to run the Hyper-Lites.

You will need to find the ground, running and brake light wires which are all running to the bulb sockets. Hope you have good luck with your install.

Brown = Ground
Grey = Tail
Grey - Yellow Stripe = Brake

I believe I'm correct in those wire colors from memory.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tommy. I will mount the two 16-LED modules under the top rack brake light, wired only for braking (no running or turn signals). I removed & took apart the top rack last night - it looks like I will route the wires through that and splice them together in the upper case. I'll post up pictures - I think it will be awesome.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Hyperlights also need switched power. I was going to tap the map light supply in the top case, so I removed all the screws holding the hard liner in the top shell but could not get it loose for the life of me. Does anyone know if the liner is glued in as well?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got them mounted under the high brake light and wires routed into the top case.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tonight I'll finish wiring them up.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts