BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I really appreciate the community here and the willingness to help out other inmates. I would have definetly already sold my k1200 if it were not for the shared knowledge base here! I have moved onto some electrical projects and need some guidance. After much research I installed a fuseblock. Wired it up like PadG describes here Auxillary Fuse Blocks so it operates from a switched power source, through the SPDT relay, and I hooked up my battery tender so it works when the switched power is off. I'd take a picture of it but I'll wait till I tidy things up! On to my questions:
  • I want to wire up my aux led driving lights but I'm not sure if I need a relay or I can run them directly from the fuseblock? They are only 10watts each.
    • If I should use the relay is it better to put in in the nose cone area near the aux lights and grab the switched power from the parking light?
  • For the aux lights I have a small rocker switch I can use but would like to go the autoswitch route, but not sure which model will work with my bike 1999 K1200lt. I reached out to the ebay merchant selling them but havn't heard back yet. Anyone know what autoswitch will work and a source?
  • Also I read a bunch of posts about turning the amber turn signals into running lights too. I like the Runnin Lites approach (buy new 3 wire socket and upgrade bulb to dual filament or dual purpose led's both for simplicity and its cost effective! If I had the cash I would go the kissan route. So question is if I make my own running ligths by converting to the 3 wire socket, are you guys running normal dual filment bulbs or the dual purpose led's? I I go the LED route, do i need to stall a diode or new flasher relay?
Thanks for all the help!
Michael

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Hi Michael-I went with Weiser Ultrabrights front and rear besides a fuse block triggered by a relay when my bike is running for all my lights, front and rear cameras, USB ports, and whatnot... the lights work as directionals and added LED driving lights in the front, and directionals and brake lights in the rear. I wired them into the front and rear directionals and brake lights with no additional diodes, or relays. Good luck!

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Michael-I went with Weiser Ultrabrights front and rear besides a fuse block triggered by a relay when my bike is running for all my lights, front and rear cameras, USB ports, and whatnot... the lights work as directionals and added LED driving lights in the front, and directionals and brake lights in the rear. I wired them into the front and rear directionals and brake lights with no additional diodes, or relays. Good luck!
View attachment 171733 View attachment 171734
Thanks the Weisser look amazing...I'm just looking for a cheaper option for now. Thanks though and nice bike!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Ten watts is a minimal draw, at 13/14 (12 nominal) volts your bike generates while running. that is less than one amp current. No relay need, just use your switch you mentioned.

Reactions: kbob12
1 - 4 of 4 Posts