BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go some more. I hate to be a pest......but. I need some help with the left handlebar multifunction switch wiring. I am trying to hardwire a Garmin power supply inside the left handlebar cover. I have the Garmin power box located and tied to the handlebar and it clears everything and the covers fit. I am trying to decipher the wiring diagram and am not having fun. Here is what I have to work with and what I have traced out so far using the Clymer wiring diagram for a 2000 model:

green/white tracer------------------?
green/brown tracer----------------?
green/blue tracer (small)----------?
blue/yellow tracer-------------------?
blue/brown tracer-------------------?

yellow/green tracer-----------------?
yellow/brown tracer----------------?

gray/yellow tracer-------------------?
purple/green tracer-----------------?

brown----------------------------------ground
brown/white tracer------------------?
brown/ yellow tracer----------------?

white (large)-------------------------headlight high beam
white/yellow tracer (large)-------headlight low beam
green/blue tracer (large))--------power from fuse 6 fuse box 2?

I am assuming that I can use the brown for a ground and I am guessing that the larger green/blue is fed by the load shed relay. Am I thinking correctly or are there other options? I would like to keep all wiring under the left handlebar covers.

Thanks, Robert.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Sorry that green/violet (normally a switched power) on the left multifunction switch comes from the flasher unit and gets grounded by the hazard flasher switch. There is no switched power fed up to that handle bar area. You can always run an additional wire from up under the head light area. Like tap into the parking light wire or headlight wire (green/blue).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
Sorry that green/violet (normally a switched power) on the left multifunction switch comes from the flasher unit and gets grounded by the hazard flasher switch. There is no switched power fed up to that handle bar area. You can always run an additional wire from up under the head light area. Like tap into the parking light wire or headlight wire (green/blue).

I'm not sure we are talking about the same wire. I have a small (18 ga.?) wire and larger (16 ga. ?) wire with the same color scheme. The larger of the two is the one I am considering. I did some judicious testing (using the straight pin wire tap method) and discovered that the brown is indeed a constant ground) and the green/blue (larger wire with that color scheme) was powered only with the key on. I tested it by hitting the starter switch and the power went off while the starter was energized. Am I mistaken in thinking that this would be a good location? This is an early 2000 model bike.

Thanks, (don't want to screw anything up) Robert.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Repeat the test with the 4 way flashers on and see if you still have voltage there. If you do then go for it. I am working from the BMW diagram and they are not organized by location but rather by function. The one I found was listed as a 0.35 mm wire so that is small. I have not found the larger one on my diagrams yet.

OK I found it, a 0.5 mm green/violet and it feeds power to the cruise control switch so that is a good one to use. It is fed by fuse F12.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
Repeat the test with the 4 way flashers on and see if you still have voltage there. If you do then go for it. I am working from the BMW diagram and they are not organized by location but rather by function. The one I found was listed as a 0.35 mm wire so that is small. I have not found the larger one on my diagrams yet.
Thanks, I will retest in the morning. I only call the wiring bundle that I am working with the "multifunction" switch wiring because it was the largest bundle of wires in the handlebar area. It may have some other name, I only have the Clymer wiring diagram.

Robert

·
Registered
498 Posts
jzeiler said:
OK I found it, a 0.5 mm green/violet and it feeds power to the cruise control switch so that is a good one to use. It is fed by fuse F12.
That's the wire I used to power my TPMS. Works great. No cruise issues.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cochinosucio said:
That's the wire I used to power my TPMS. Works great. No cruise issues.
Yay! I be soldering in the morning!

Thanks, Robert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts