BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 LT w/ the factory GPS bracket/wiring. Since this bike never came with the GPS, I am installing my Garmin 205W this weekend once the ram mounts arrive (on the OEM GPS bracket). Here is the question:

1. Can I splice the original OEM wires to the new garmin wires? If so, is there a color sequence I need to splice into?

2. Would it be easier to find a powersource to splice the new GPS' power wire? If so, what would you recommend as a powersource to tap into?

Thanks!!!

Glenn

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Most of us just buy the 12v wiring kit for the GPS, then splice into the map light above the speedo. It pops right out and the wiring is right there. Plus there's plenty of room for the fuse.

HTH

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Glenn I'm a bit confused.
Are you saying the '05 has a factory mount for the GPS and if so do you know if it is the same as '09-'10 LT model year? Because my bike had the mount and its own cables before I even got the Navi iv unit. Where is your mount?
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
260 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Most of us just buy the 12v wiring kit for the GPS, then splice into the map light above the speedo. It pops right out and the wiring is right there. Plus there's plenty of room for the fuse.

HTH
Wiring into the map light is what I did with my Garmin ZUMO 450... but mounted on a shelf and the wiring is a snap with the existing connectors and easily accessible.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will send some pictures this weekend to explain what I am trying to do. More importantly, I am concerned not about the wiring, but if the unit will hold up to vibrations from the LT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts