BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a small gauge, two wire plug in my top case oddments box this evening. There is a clip way down in the oddments box that looks like a clip for the wire. The wire wasn't run through it. I couldn't find anything about it in the owner's manual.

Anyone have any ideas what this wire is for? Maybe the high mounted brake light IF I had the exterior luggage rack?

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 99 oddments box has a clip which holds the miniflashlight which came with the bike. But I'm not aware of any other clip.

The small wire might be for connecting a cell phone or FRS to the comms system if you bike has one.

Just guesses.... Barry

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Barry. My bike doesn't have the clip or flashlight in the front oddments box. I think this is called the "stingray" if I have my terminology correct. It looks like a stingray, anyway.

The wire in question is in the top case lid, where the vanity mirror is. Owner's manual, paper oil funnels, etc. go in there, along with this little wire.

·
Registered
747 Posts
wires in top box

The wire you are looking at is for the brake lite that is on the top box rack. It was an option item for the 2000 LT's. Later models have the on from the factory.

Hope this is what you wanted. If I remember when I added it to my 2000 LT (also Canyon RED) it cost about $325.00.

Check the halls of wisdom for other racks which people added.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought it was. Thanks, George. I don't have the rack. I like the way they look, but pricing on the OE will probably hold me back. Maybe I'll look into the aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts