BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys-
Tried searching for previous information on the topic to no avail. It will have been almost 6 weeks until I return home for the first time after working out of town.
I left the LT at home, plugged in (BMW gel charger), in a heated garage all nice and cozy for the winter. I didn't lift the front tire off the ground - but it is on the CS, so the rear is lifted. I also forgot to use mouse poison & Stabil. :(

First and foremost, I'm afraid of a dead spot developing in the front tire. The thought of a vermin infestation in my tupperware isn't a huge worry, but I will be checking when I return and would surely hate to find that. Bad gas shouldn't be a problem after 6 weeks. Are these issues worthy of worrying about? They consume me like an oven that was left on consumes a worrysome mom. What can I do when I get home besides check for problem? After 6 weeks, I'll be itching for a ride... and I don't want to have a front tire blowout or massive front end wobble! :p Are there any other things I should worry about for the next 2 weeks?

At least we have snowmobiles here. I realized they're not nearly as fun as riding a motorcycle, but at least it gives me my fill of motorsports. :cool:
-Ryan from the South Pole

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't worry about it 6 weeks shouldn't be a problem. Units sit on a showroom floor that length of time..or more.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
Ryan,

There is so little weight on the front tire I would not worry about it. Gas should survive the 6 weeks considering the temp has been fairly constant in the garage. I would not worry about it. Just give it a good once over check the tires and ride it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I put my bike up every winter for at least 3 months and sometimes 4 between rides. I change oil, fill it up with gas, add stabilizer and hook it up to a battery tender. Starts right up in spring with no problems and have never found a flat spot on the front tire. I wouldn't worry about it. Ron

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Check tire press & ride, the rats will jump off. Don't forget to unplug the tender!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will sleep better at night

very good points - esp the one: rats will jump off :rotf: plus showroom floor time and gas at same temp the whole time
very good to know. makes me feel better.
thanks a bunch guys

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
You did everything you needed to do...

Hooked up the Battery Tender..:thumb: . everything else is debatable..

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Ryan..
Texas winteriing... bring it here and we'll keep the oil and coolant circulating, the fuel refreshed, tires properly rolling, fresh bugs squished and an odometer check.... for a nominal fee of course..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts