BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Not had the time to ride a lot that cold weather is here. I have my LT since beginning of september but have to let it in the garage I presume for several months. To those being concerned with winter time, what kind of care would you advise to provide to your favorite bike?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I look forward to the responses to this post as well....

Me.... I have the bike on a trickle charger all winter and fire her up every couple of weeks to keep the juices flowing and all seals moist. Come spring... I take her in for the annual. Although, I am going to do alot of this myself this spring.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would recommend doing your annual at the end of each year rather than in Spring. The reasoning behind this is that any water in your brake or clutch lines should be flushed out so that rust will be minimized while the bike is sitting idle.

Same thing for your oil changes. Water vapor condenses in your oil and when combined with the carbon from combustion blowby forms carboxylic acids that are corrosive to your engine. For this reason I want fresh oil in any engine that will be sitting over the winter.

Normally running the bike out on the road gets it hot enough to boil off those impurities after they form. But starting the bike for a few minutes in the garage will cause that condensation to occur yet NOT get the oil hot enough to boil it off. If you must start the bike....ride it long enought to get the oil HOT.

I have both a water temp guage and an oil temp gauge on my Corvette and was very surprised to find that in the winter months even after the water temperature reaches 100C the oil temp stays much lower until much later. So you need to ride for at least a half hour to an hour if you want to keep that water out of your crankcase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please give me your experience in the matter, I need more infos. Thanks to those having answered!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Winter?

Seriously, my favorite riding season is just beginning. Living in the Arizona mountains, 30 degrees F this morning, in a few weeks we'll be in the teens.

Heated Corbin seats arrived today....that and heated grips and vest and I'm good to go!

How cold does it get in Paris? I honestly have no idea. If there's no snow/ice on the ground, I'm ridin'!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Winter?

Same for me mister "xrmattaz", so long road is dry, I take the bike but I hate rain. Got all my accidents in bad weather conditions. Helas we mostly have a lot of rain in Paris during wintertime. Min-max temperature in winter is 14-50.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
you can solve all those pesky wintering problems with one easy step, like i did:

1) move to california.

c'est fini!

;-)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Gary, good idea but I should have done it when I was 25. I just step with 2 feet in the professionnal life and I should have thought earlier about this project.
Well I can always come in CA for vaccation. Sure I will do it within next years!
Otherwise why should I own a Jeep Cherokee, a Buell, Fender, Gretsch and Gibson guitars and amps (just sold my Electra Glide and replace it by the LT) if I don't like the States :))

·
Registered
87 Posts
Christian,

You can do as much or as few winter preparations to the bike as you like. Opinions will vary widely on this topic. I change the oil if possible, top off the fuel tank and put in a fuel stabilizing mixture (always run the bike for a while after this so you distribute the stabilizer through the fuel system) put the bike on a maintenance charger, and cover the bike with a breathable cover. I don't run mine over the winter unless I am going to take it out for a ride. You can do more if you like. Pull the spark plugs and mist the cylinders with oil, cover any chrome with acid free greese (vasaline), and wash and wax the bike up good before storage.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, happiness is so easy! I had to ask twice but I finally got nice answers. I know that little poor french man in his small country far away in Europe is not the most important of your daily concerns but thanks anyway to you guys for your good advices!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts