BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am getting ready to put "hoss" out to pasture for the winter. Here is list of things I hope to do, am I missing anything. Bike is an 02 with 20K miles.

1) Change engine, trans, & final drive fluids. Inspect drain plugs for Oh Sh*t particles.
2) Replace antifreeze.
3) Bleed brakes.
4) Check valve clearance
5) Air cleaner/filter
6) Replace cheap plastic fuel QD's
7) Check / replace spark plugs.
8) Bleed Clutch
9) Give him a bath & shine

Any other thoughts on things I should consider doing while I have Him in pieces.

Suggestions or tips on doing any of the above?

How long do the radiator hoses last on these bikes?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Winter Storage

Big Bear,

1. Don't forget to use a 'Battery Tender Plus' to keep the battery charged. Check the battery terminals/connectors for corrosion, clean and neutralize with a water/baking soda mixture, followed by water clean, let dry and apply anti-corrosion product (available at Auto Parts Supply Stores) to the terminals/connectors

2. Add STA-BIL to the gasoline...today's gasoline isn't stable for more than about 30 to 45 days before it starts breaking down

3. Clean the transmission plug threads and add anti-seize compound to the threads to prevent seizing to the transmission case. The anti-seize compound is available from Plumbing Sources or Auto Parts.

4. Rotate both tires for visual inspection to detect any foreign objects imbedded into tires

5. Put a cover over your 'baby' and talk to it occasionally...it won't give you any lip in return

Terry

·
Banned
588 Posts
Since you will have the air filter out, spray some engine fogging oil in. Helps protect against corrosion. You can read about it here https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/fog.aspx .

Balance the bike on the centerstand to keep the front and rear tires off the ground to prevent flat spots and contact.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sequence counts!

Do these things before the lube/coolange changes:

3) Bleed brakes.
4) Check valve clearance
5) Air cleaner/filter
6) Replace cheap plastic fuel QD's
7) Check / replace spark plugs.
8) Bleed Clutch

Once that's all done - and before the lube/coolant chagnes - take 'er out for a run. Ensure everything is happy, no leaks and she's running well. Then when fluids are at temp - change 'em out as per the service manual. That way you rinse out any incidental 'contamination' from the servicing.

After the lube/coollant changes, you'll want to at least fire it up and go for a long enough spin to bring everything up to temp before you go 'into' storage. Gets all that new fresh liquids splashed all over 'er innards, mixed up with whatever is left behind and propperly setup for doing it's winter anti-corrosion duties.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Hey Guys,
I didn't do Number 6
What do you replace the QDs with?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
rixchard said:
Winter storage? What's that? :)

Its what you boys in Texas do when the temp drops below 70F.
:rotf:

Its almost that time of year out here as well. Daytime high temp for the last 3 days has been below freezing - although only just.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winter storage explained

rixchard said:
It is the opposite of your Summer storage.
Us Northerners try to keep from freezing our butts, while you Southerners try to keep from frying yours :D

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
rixchard said:
Perzachery my thoughts. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Winterizing my way.

Fluid changes done on schedule, not duplicated for winter. Put some Stabil in the gas tank and run the bike to get the Stabil circulated through the the fuel rails and injectors.

Park it.

Plug in battery tender. (My tender rotates around on several bikes and isn't plugged into the LT full time. Never a problem).

January thaw? Go for a ride.

Park it again until the snow goes out of the drive again.

Keeping it simple.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts