BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bike lift/table arroves tomorrow and I am planning a strip down. I have replaced the radiators before, so removed plastic and tank. But this time I will have to go a fair bit further.
Anyone got any advice on things to look out for? Things you wish you had known before you did these jobs? Time scales
?

Oil changes, Fuel line quick release, Brake line speed bleeder,
Valve check and adjust

Suspension replacement

Tension arm replacement

HID installation

Driving lights

Speedo fix

Wire in GPS

Fix ABS?

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Midnight Oil

Sounds like you're going to be busy! Every time I do a strip down, I find another electrical connector to grease up with dielectric. That's always worth doing. My Wilbers went in well. Remember to tie the center stand, I used a strap to the engine protection plate. Oil change, I use the rubber mat as per the template for the transmission, Engine oil I just loosen the filter cover to drain. Take care with the 3 bolts on the cover, 10 Nm only. Filter is 11Nm. Hid's good too, but a slightly different install on the '05 twin headlight. Info here on line. I added moto's and side lights from Ztechnik. Just use relays where ever possible. At the front end the map light is a good source of switched power for the GPS, or to control relays. Q/D's the OEM's have a protective lip to ensure they don't open by rubbing on the frame etc. I packed out the replacement ones with neoprene rubber to give them space. Have fun. A lift sure helps.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
The only one that would concern me would be FIX ABS.
What do you mean by that? Are you getting flashing ABS warning lights?

The rest is just work, and probably better performed with a buddy. But nothing impossible.
Also while you are at it, you should consider drilling the weep hole and replace the clutch slave cylinder and seal, and replace the transmission output shaft seal.
Maybe you should have a tech session at your place and invite others to perform some maintenance work and assist you with yours.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zippy_gg said:
The only one that would concern me would be FIX ABS.
What do you mean by that? Are you getting flashing ABS warning lights?

The rest is just work, and probably better performed with a buddy. But nothing impossible.
Also while you are at it, you should consider drilling the weep hole and replace the clutch slave cylinder and seal, and replace the transmission output shaft seal.
Maybe you should have a tech session at your place and invite others to perform some maintenance work and assist you with yours.
Weep hole drilled by BMW last year when the clutch went.
ABS has been flashing for months, I am going to hit the ABS unit hard with a hammer and cross my fingers, I am NOT replacing it at that cost!!!

Cheers for the other tips guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts