BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although it has been very nice the last few weeks, I have been so pressed for time that I have not had time to ride my new to me machine much. Anyway, it will end up sitting under the car port for the winter. I am going to order a cover for it and have a battery tender. Do you guys that end up not riding for a few months use staybil on these BMWs? I do with my Harley, but this things seems, if I am reading things here correctly, to be a finicky and high maintanance machine. And with no close service shop and given that even a quote on an oil change for this thing is nearly double that of my Harley, which is 50% higher than a Honda. I don't want any nasty surprises in march or April when I can get back to riding.

As always thanks for all the help guys.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
No problem adding Stabil to the tank. Make sure you fill it up to reduce condensation in the tank. Better to do an oil change before storage, but one shortly after you bring her out will also work. Oil change is fairly easy to DIY. Plenty of good videos out there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unless you live somewhere that working on your own bike is not allowed, you have physical limitations, or more money than brains, just change the oil yourself. It is really easy. There are videos, and instructions both here and in your manual (You have one, Right?).
As for high maintenance, compared to a Harley? NO, compared to a basic no frills Honda, Yes.
Most of the things that you need to do on the KLT are the same things that need to be done on any other bike. Oil change, Brake fluid flush, other fluid flush/change etc. All bike need valve adjustment some time, all bike need fluid change/flush.
These bikes have a few more things that you might need to fix/adjust but that is only because they have so much extra stuff on them. These bike are fully loaded touring machines.
I have an older KLR 650 and I do all the same stuff it it as the BMW, and it is as basic as you can get(2 wheels, 1 cylinder, 1 carb)
So, learn how to do your own fluid changes, use Staybil and pure gas, a battery tender, you will be just fine.

Reactions: rosmba

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unless you live somewhere that working on your own bike is not allowed, you have physical limitations, or more money than brains, just change the oil yourself. It is really easy. There are videos, and instructions both here and in your manual (You have one, Right?).
As for high maintenance, compared to a Harley? NO, compared to a basic no frills Honda, Yes.
Most of the things that you need to do on the KLT are the same things that need to be done on any other bike. Oil change, Brake fluid flush, other fluid flush/change etc. All bike need valve adjustment some time, all bike need fluid change/flush.
These bikes have a few more things that you might need to fix/adjust but that is only because they have so much extra stuff on them. These bike are fully loaded touring machines.
I have an older KLR 650 and I do all the same stuff it it as the BMW, and it is as basic as you can get(2 wheels, 1 cylinder, 1 carb)
So, learn how to do your own fluid changes, use Staybil and pure gas, a battery tender, you will be just fine.

+1 on that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK... LOL... made my attempt at changing the oil today. Have been a wrench for years but on street rods, muscle cars and harleys. So anyway I get everything, I think, I need to do the oil change. All of the available garage space is used up so this is in the drive, 45 degrees, threatening rain deal. First I find that the only size metric hex I do not have on hand is the one for the smaller bolts in the oil filter cover. Ok, quick trip 5 miles each way to parts store solves that. Also looked for a different filter remover cup as the one I have that nearly fits the BMW filter I way over paid for (I know I'll use that place you all recommend next time) seems to be set up for 12 flats not 14 but it has a upper section that seems to have 40 notches so I figure ok it will work. WRONG... LOL.. get the cover off and no way is my filter cup going to budge that filter and it is so tight on one side the I end up grinding down the little flare on my cup to get it up in there to begin with.

Oh well. What are you guys using as a filter cup? point me in the right direction as she is sitting out there with no oil in her and it is supposed to be nearly 70 on Christmas day.. GRRRRRRR

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would just leave the filter off this time. You can change it next time.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Take the filter wrench that most closely fits and run three screws into it and the filter....that should do it until you get the correct size one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take the filter wrench that most closely fits and run three screws into it and the filter....that should do it until you get the correct size one.
now there is a genius idea... never heard of that.. but that ought to work... going to be a few days before I have day light to try it but thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
This was the Rat Bike. Most of the parts had some sort of damage, but I made it ride-able. ABS didn't work, windshield was just bolted in place with home made brackets, saddle bags were held together with epoxy and kevlar thread, seat and knee pads recovered, shocks were shot, but it was ride-able!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was expecting way more rat than that. but I like it, you could have fashioned a tank cover that would have topped it off. There is a guy up 81 from me that has a completely ratted out honda cruiser. No original Tupperware at all, lowered, cafe cowl... the thing is amazing. And the crotch rocket locals tell me it is fast... you would really have to see it to appreciate it, but then I like rat rods. Some really great back yard engineering in most of those rigs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I placed an order late on tuesday afternoon for the oil change kit with filter cup from Beemerboneyard and WOW.. it came yesterday afternoon and I was able to get the oil change finished up today. Just one question. I put in the 3. 75 qt. as suggested but I still can not see anything in the oil level window. The oil was black as tar so I am thinking it may have coated the inside of the window. It is all back together now, but I was wondering, maybe a rookie mistake, while the filter was out should I have reached up in there and attempted to clean off the inside of that window? Can it even be reached from there with the filter out?

well anyway can not praise the boneyard more, thanks to those of you that recommended that place. Also, Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The oil should clear off the sight glass, no matter how dirty the old stuff was. Did you run the bike any? Also, I'm assuming you changed the filter. Yes? If so, 3.75 may not be quite enough since the filter needs to fill with oil. I haven't done an oil change on my bike yet, so I could be completely off, but I'm thinking that either there's not enough or the oil just hasn't filled all of the right holes yet after a short run.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Filled with new, clean oil, it may look like it doesn't show. I filled mine up a couple of changes ago, and thought it didn't have enough oil in it, but it turned out that the amount I had put in was over the top of the sight glass. Once started, the level dropped down to where I could see it and all was good... :wave:wave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Filled with new, clean oil, it may look like it doesn't show. I filled mine up a couple of changes ago, and thought it didn't have enough oil in it, but it turned out that the amount I had put in was over the top of the sight glass. Once started, the level dropped down to where I could see it and all was good... :wave:wave
I filled the filter and went by the amount recommend in the repair guide. I did start it but didn't ride it. oil pressure light is out so I assume it at least has enough oil in it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts