BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So going on a 1200 mile trip here in two weeks, have a good jacket, helmet, but worried about the wind getting through my jeans. I am a pretty big guy, 6'3 and 260 pounds. So I wear a 44x34 pant. Can anyone recommend anything for me?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You need some riding pants that have a removable thermal liner. They may have armor also. I have a pair from FirstGear that I like a lot. Your rain gear can help a lot on a cool morning too.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
So going on a 1200 mile trip here in two weeks, have a good jacket, helmet, but worried about the wind getting through my jeans. I am a pretty big guy, 6'3 and 260 pounds. So I wear a 44x34 pant. Can anyone recommend anything for me?
A suggestion to offer. By accident some years ago, I found my solution to your worry. I left south Tejas wearing ATGATT, but with summer type clothing under. Heading to Mena AR for a BMW riders group get together. Toward the end of a week long stay, AR’s wx turned to nearly freezing! Many riders had planned NE trip extensions to view Fall Foliage in the New England area. I had commitments at home, so wished friends safe riding and I began heading south. Holy cow!! I’m shivering under my gear and barely down the mountain and outta Mena. Stopped for gas, I remembered I had stuffed a set of recently purchased Frogg Toggs in my carry-on bag.
One legged dance to get ‘em on over riding boots and gear, I had the answer for a more comfortable ride home. They make great wind stoppers, as well as providing rain protection in many situations. Academy Sports, Dick’s, maybe Bass Pro/Cabelas. If possible, try on for fit - they’re usually cut big. HTH.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree with Fatbob I have a set of riding pants that I bought for winter that have removable inner liners. They are also rain resistant. They can become a bit of a sauna when it gets warmer even with the inners removed but they do keep you warm on colder rides. Mine are made by Dryrider, don't know if you have that brand over there but I'm sure you would have something similar. They also have zippered vents on the sides so you can get some air flow.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
52 Posts
In New England at this time of the year the issue is when do you want to be most comfortable? If you prefer to be warm in the cool/cold mornings then it's long underwear, thermal layers and/or riding pants (or as suggested, use rain gear to cut the wind). But, if you dress up for the cold morning you might be cooking in the afternoon when temps might be into the high 60's or low 70's unless you want to stop and change.

For me I will generally wear long underwear under my jeans and thick socks with my boots. My jacket has both thermal and dry layers and if the weather is especially cold I will put my rain suit on over all of that to cut the wind down even more. That combination allows me to quickly ditch the rain suit when temps come up a bit and then I'm very comfortable up into the 60's.

However, I generally don't ride when the temps are right around freezing (like this morning at 31F) as I'm always concerned about ice on the road and would prefer to find that when I have 4 wheels underneath me. 😊

Have fun!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Denim will provide virtually no protection from abrasion in the event of a fall. At least get a pair of jeans with Kevlar panels and armor in knees, seat and hips. Better yet, buy riding pants/coveralls that also block wind and rain. All it takes is one good fall to convince riders to always wear proper riding gear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can get pretty inexpensive overpants like Tourmaster or a few other companies. Also if you don’t have a heated jacket get one. Don’t leave home without it. Heated jacket can make a world of difference on cool/cold days.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R1200RT Carbon Black Mettalic
68 Posts
I rode from San Diego to Illinois in June many years ago now on a 1300GT. Gear of choice was (still is) Rally Pro 3 BMW gear with linings in and a set of the silver thread BMW under garments. Good pair of winter/summer gloves, boots, good socks and a warm shirt and I was good through many types of weather. The self breathing of the Rally pro gear is great. You of course need the budget to afford it :-/. But I was comfortable whether in Nevada, the Rockies or the plains. I also recommend a way to grab a drink while riding. Why I love my flip up helmet, Shark Evo in my case.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Riding in June is a lot different than riding in November here in the states. The thread starter didn’t say where he is at or riding to. Unless he is way south you could get almost any kind of weather. I live outside StL and I hear it’s snowing about 200 miles north of us in Cedar Rapids Iowa.

·
Cat Herder
1,475 Posts
And I will be the guy who says "invest in any Aerostich suit, jacket and pants" They last almost forever.
And yes it did snow in Des Moines yesterday. Back to the 70's by Thursday

(I am not a paid spokesman for anything and thank my stars I don't live in snowville anymore.)
(My mom sent me the photo)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have worn Aerostich for 15 years and love it, but very expensive. But if I was ever to go down, its the only thing I would want to be wearing. Before the Aerostitch I went to REI purchased some organge rain gear, pants and jacket. The fold up and you can put them into a ziplock bag. They are gor tex protected so 100% waterproof and I like the orange color, you stick out like a pumpkin. Plus the pants have zippers down the entire leg. You can put them on over your riding pants. I also concur with the heated jacket. Once you try one, you will NEVER want anything else

·
Registered
10 Posts
Of course, the particular arrangement that works for one person may not work for another but in any the case, I have found the lined textile riding pants to be of great value. For myself, I find that being beaten by the wind for long stretches, especially when it is cold, causes some fatigue to set in and the riding pants help to greatly reduce the fatigue. Of course, this is in addition to the obvious added benefit of reducing damage to oneself in the case of a fall.

For me, I have a pair of Rev'It pants that have both a wind-breaker liner and a quilted liner. This adds a little bit of complexity to managing the liners but it I like the ability to layer. In addition to the pants, especially if the weather tends to the cooler side, I will also wear a pair of under-armor like pants/leggings. I find that these tend to keep me just a little more comfortable than going with nothing (except underwear of course).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Duluthflex Firehose ballroom flannel lined jeans from Duluth trading. Like riding in your jammies

1 - 13 of 13 Posts