BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
All
Ran across this item from LL Bean that works good for cool winter days.
It is called Ultralight 850 Down Sweater, Hooded. Here's the link
Men's Ultralight 850 Down Sweater, Hooded | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

What is good about this is
1. It is very light weight and compressible.
2. It is packable, so it can be tucked away.
3. It works as a mid-layer, so you can wear it under fall riding gear without getting "bulked" up -- mine is BMW Motoraad equipment.
4. I can wear the hood under my Concept C3 helmet, if I need to, without biding or undue pressure points.

Net -- comfortable at 40 F without electrics!

Registered
Why not just buy Tour Master heated gear?
Then you don't have to layer. Just turn the heat up.
I wear my heated stuff and don't have to have all of the uncomfortable bulk.
Heated gear works well even under summer mesh gear.

Registered
Heated gear is a pain to deal with. I have heated gear and have done everything I can to minimize my use of it. Trying to plug everything up makes a quick stop three times as long.

Registered
OR, you could look like Bibendum. :grin:

IBR# 366
Heated gear is a pain to deal with.
I haven't found that.

I'm just using a heated jacket, so I only have one plug that hangs out just below the left side of my seat. I can do it up one-handed, but it's easier to hop on the bike, plug in using both hands, then lift up off the side stand, start, and ride away.

It literally only takes a few extra seconds, and I have detailed control of my heat level from one simple knob.

Registered
I haven't found that.

I'm just using a heated jacket, so I only have one plug that hangs out just below the left side of my seat. I can do it up one-handed, but it's easier to hop on the bike, plug in using both hands, then lift up off the side stand, start, and ride away.

It literally only takes a few extra seconds, and I have detailed control of my heat level from one simple knob.
Try heated gloves and let me know how well that works for you.

Registered
If you buy TourMaster there is only one plug...

The jacket plugs into the bike with the controller.
Gloves, which are too bulky, I use summer gauntlet and heated grips, plug into the jacket sleeves.
Pants plug into bottom of the jacket.
Socks plug into the pants bottoms.

I am usually good with just the jacket. The LT is my winter bike.
It displaces a lot of cold air away from me.

IBR# 366
Try heated gloves and let me know how well that works for you.
Have done, thanks.

Find I don't really need them with proper wind protection, heated grips, and decent insulating/windproof/waterproof gloves.

And even when I was using heated gloves, it's just two extra plugs, then tuck them away under the cuffs.

I remember crossing Atlanta one December at 18掳F, and actually turned the jacket down because I was getting two warm. No heated pants, gloves, or socks at the time . . .

Registered
All
Ran across this item from LL Bean that works good for cool winter days.
It is called Ultralight 850 Down Sweater, Hooded. Here's the link
Men's Ultralight 850 Down Sweater, Hooded | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

What is good about this is
1. It is very light weight and compressible.
2. It is packable, so it can be tucked away.
3. It works as a mid-layer, so you can wear it under fall riding gear without getting "bulked" up -- mine is BMW Motoraad equipment.
4. I can wear the hood under my Concept C3 helmet, if I need to, without biding or undue pressure points.

Net -- comfortable at 40 F without electrics!
Actually Rick, I like the idea. Up here in the my often-times chill NW, we sometimes think like snowmobilers or skiers and build survival into our cold weather activities. In case of an unplanned "get off" with injuries, you might avoid hypothermia a lot longer with a down layer. Plus I can also see how appealing it is to just do things simpler. I mean I don't usually see skiers & snow machine jockeys using heated gear(they get along just fine). And sans the power cord, if I'm abruptly ejected from my ride, I wouldn't have that cord connection there to disrupt a hopefully well-executed ninja roll to relative safety directly in front of the swedish bikini team.
(disclosure: i own heated gear)
(disclosure: can't find the bikini team)

Bob

Registered
I think you guys are missing the point. If you like heated gear, use it, but there are many reasons why people don't want to use heated gear. Different strokes for different folks.

Premium Member
Here's a shot of some winter gear I picked up from L L Bean............:grin:

Registered
The Villages, FL
On my LT, I mounted the controller for my heated jacket liner where the headlight adjuster is located. I did move the headlight adjuster as I also installed a voltage gauge. The pigtail from the controller came out in front of the seat. It took seconds to plug in the jacket and gloves.
My RT is a different story as I keep the controller inside the pocket of the heated liner. I plug this into the pigtail that comes directly off the battery which I use with the battery tender.

Attachments

Registered
My wife and I got off a bike at 70mph wearing heated gear.
Believe me, if you are worried that the gear won't disconnect, you are wrong.
Both of our stuff let go and we parted ways with the bike just fine.

While we waited for a trailer, I plugged into the bike and was warm.
It helped keep me from going into shock. It sucks when the hospital is hours away.

IBR# 366
If you like heated gear, use it, but there are many reasons why people don't want to use heated gear.
Fair enough. But those of us who do use heated gear find the hassle to be minimal, and well worth the instant comfort available.

Reactions: Whiskey

Registered
I like heated gear just fine. Warm is warm no matter where you get it from. And the apparel suggested in the thread opener looks useful no matter what you're doing. I think it would be nice combined with heated gear on a really cold ride.
Go ride for several hours at interstate speed at 20 degrees as I've done and get back to me on that.
bob

Reactions: Whiskey

Registered
Mike, I'm glad you both survived and were hopefully able to ride again another day.

Registered
Mike, I'm glad you both survived and were hopefully able to ride again another day.
I am fine now... This would be another thread for how textile gear holds up after a crash.

I wear leather now.
I have never had leather come apart like my textile pants did. I had a lot of road rash.
The armor turned into shipping peanuts.
My right Sidi race boot was under the bike with my foot still in it.
It wore the boot down to my toes. The slider was at least an inch thick and the pavement ground through it then completely through the leather and rubber.
Any ankle protection was only from the pavement. It took four years for most of the pain to go away. I still limp. Inversion helped the most.

Short story is always wear your gear.
Mine was just an easy low side through a blind right hand turn.
6000.00 damage to a Concours 14A... State Farm should have just totalled it.

Registered
I am fine now... This would be another thread for how textile gear holds up after a crash.

I wear leather now.
I have never had leather come apart like my textile pants did. I had a lot of road rash.
The armor turned into shipping peanuts.
My right Sidi race boot was under the bike with my foot still in it.
It wore the boot down to my toes. The slider was at least an inch thick and the pavement ground through it then completely through the leather and rubber.
Any ankle protection was only from the pavement. It took four years for most of the pain to go away. I still limp. Inversion helped the most.

Short story is always wear your gear.
Mine was just an easy low side through a blind right hand turn.
6000.00 damage to a Concours 14A... State Farm should have just totalled it.
Mike,
A very sobering insight into how ride gear can perform or under perform in a crash. One should pay attention to what protection level is afforded by the gear and never go cheap to save a buck.
Glad to know you survived mostly intact. I take it the Sidi boot was not steel toed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts