BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I finally began to strip the plastic to fix my leaking brake lines I decided to go nuts and start removing a lot of stuff. Now As I sit hear and look at the parts that will eventually have to go back on, I was wondering if all of them do. For instance last year I did a canisterectomy, which of course if it isn't clogged you won't notice any difference but if it is clogged well we all know the story. What about the intake muffler looking like thingy. does it have a point beyond restricing airflow. I believe BMW just calls it a "cup" Part Number "13711465261". I am sure I will notice other things that might seem questionable this year but to be honest, I gashed my knuckle pretty good getting it off the bike so I am pretty sure It doesn't want to go back on the bike...by me anyway.

And if anyone has any other ideas tips or tricks to do when all the plastic is off feel free to post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Winter Strip Down

The baffle is an intake sound suppressor. When I do my winter tear down I'm dumping it, and hoping for some improvement in throttle response.
I would put in a K&N filter if I were you, complete any wiring projects and change your coolant while the plastic is off.

If you have a bike older than 05 you should consider doing the "upgrade to 05" throttle.
How about some irridium plugs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tomandmelanie said:
I would put in a K&N filter if I were you, complete any wiring projects and change your coolant while the plastic is off.

If you have a bike older than 05 you should consider doing the "upgrade to 05" throttle.
How about some irridium plugs?
I have plans for oil, coolant and plugs already and well my pockets are pretty shallow these days, with a kid on the way, so the 05 throttle won't be happening. Air filter is a maybe. thanks for the ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,986 Posts
tomandmelanie said:
The baffle is an intake sound suppressor. When I do my winter tear down I'm dumping it, and hoping for some improvement in throttle response.
I would put in a K&N filter if I were you, complete any wiring projects and change your coolant while the plastic is off.

If you have a bike older than 05 you should consider doing the "upgrade to 05" throttle.
How about some irridium plugs?


The only thing I was wondering: Does that extension on the air intake help the bike get "cold" or at least "cooler" air from the front of the bike instead of "heated" air from underneath the fairing...where we know BMW does a good job of directing it?

In extreme heat (which we tend to have here in the South), it might be a concern in the summer (i.e. - stop and go traffic, etc). Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cccpastorjack said:
The only thing I was wondering: Does that extension on the air intake help the bike get "cold" or at least "cooler" air from the front of the bike instead of "heated" air from underneath the fairing...where we know BMW does a good job of directing it?

In extreme heat (which we tend to have here in the South), it might be a concern in the summer (i.e. - stop and go traffic, etc). Any thoughts?
If that is the case, the intake baffle still restricts airflow, in which you could easily make and extension of any scrap tube you have laying around. But I will test performance and sound before I go modifying the intake on this thing, because it is entirely possible that the intake is tuned. maybe it will be more snappy, maybe it will be the same, or maybe it will sound really cool :rotf:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
I would be very interested in your results.
I could really do with all that useful space up frount for my new air horns!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
c00k1e said:
. . .
I could really do with all that useful space up frount for my new air horns!!
Make sure you point the horns INTO the air intake to get a 'turbo boost' effect when you use them :rotf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
So...

What's the deal with the "05 throttle upgrade" ? I have a 2000 LTC. What can I expect from an upgrade, and how much/how hard to complete? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
And if anyone has any other ideas tips or tricks to do when all the plastic is off feel free to post.[/QUOTE]

One of the things I did when I had all the plastic off and the gas tank, I ran two 1/2" dia. lines, using plastic air brake line, from the general area of the battery compartment up and under the left and right side of the tank to the area directly behind the front forks. These are both empty and are available as a conduit for wiring should I, or a future owner, decide to add more farkles. The right side one was easier to install. (more room) The left side one was a tighter fit especially at the rear of the tank just before the bike frame that makes up the battery compartment. To date they are still empty, but they are convenient to have.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
KIC said:
What's the deal with the "05 throttle upgrade" ? I have a 2000 LTC. What can I expect from an upgrade, and how much/how hard to complete? :confused:
If your wrist doesn't ache, then don't bother with it. But if the throttle seems unaccepably stiff, then you can cure that with this fix.
I got my local dealers to do mine, so I can't say how hard it is, but part costs are on here somewhere if you hit the right search term. I was very happy with the result
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ajs said:
One of the things I did when I had all the plastic off and the gas tank, I ran two 1/2" dia. lines, using plastic air brake line, from the general area of the battery compartment up and under the left and right side of the tank to the area directly behind the front forks. These are both empty and are available as a conduit for wiring should I, or a future owner, decide to add more farkles. The right side one was easier to install. (more room) The left side one was a tighter fit especially at the rear of the tank just before the bike frame that makes up the battery compartment. To date they are still empty, but they are convenient to have.
Good Idea, I will be yanking the tank tomorrow and I have some stray wires I would like to organize.
 

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Jeremy good luck with the break down!
I know about winter that is :histerica
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top