BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking rather than leaving the triple charger on for six months, just disconnect the battery.
Any thoughts?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
The only draw back on that is the alarm system internal battery will run down and may not recover. But I used to do that when I shipped out on 8 month cruises in the Navy but my old Suzuki did not have an alarm.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
The only draw back on that is the alarm system internal battery will run down and may not recover.
If he is talking about his 2000LT, I do not believe he has an alarm system, otherwise, I agree, disconnecting the battery will cause no harm. The bike will just have to relearn everything once it is started, and the radio may lose its presets with the battery disconnected for so long.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct no alarm

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Contrary to lots of BMW advice, I leave my batteries in the bike and hook my smart trickle charger up and don't look back. No problems. Most smart chargers monitor the voltage closely and only kick in at pre set voltages with minimal charging as needed. Thus the term maintenance charging. I do have a preference as to brand of charger.
Even with the battery on the bench, if you are not using a smart charger, a always on trickle charger will over charge the battery and kaput.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I am thinking rather than leaving the triple charger on for six months, just disconnect the battery.
Any thoughts?
That's OK, but you still should charge the battery back up every 30 days. These new type cheap trickle charges are great as you just leave them hooked up to the battery all winter.

Reactions: dlafoy

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have a battery tender, use it, or buy one as not very expensive. I use the BMW maintenance tender and got 7 yrs out of the original battery before it finally failed. Actually it still had enough juice to start the bike but the radio wouldn't work. Took the dealership over 3 weeks to return the bike as they, Toronto BMW and Munich BMW couldn't figure it out. Turned out they had a batch of bad batteries and the second one was from this batch. The 3rd battery finally worked but they never tested it, just expected me to fork out over $900 for a new radio module "to see if that cures the problem" and of course 100% at my expense with no returns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I went to play in the sandbox (AFG) for 2 nine month trips and a 4 month I pulled the cable off my ,at the time, 2002 LT. When I returned I hooked it up and away I went. I can't remember the radio issue and I did have an alarm which seemed to be okay. I did have a chip and so the bike did have to re-learn the throttle positioning. I had an Optima battery (AGM). Now I just ride the bikes almost every day in the winter to keep them charged up.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Don't forget to put some fuel additive that deals with alcohol in gas if the bike is going over the winter. Today at our local get together two guys had dealers saying warranty issues with no gas additives. I've never heard of this so check with your dealer if you have a bike on warranty. Makes sense anyway. Alcohol gas starts to separate after 6 weeks and really pulls in water. That water ....

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
We just take the battery ...& rig to Florida for 6 mounts every year...:wave

·
Registered
787 Posts
The best thing for your batteries health over the winter is to leave it on a battery tender. You must make sure that it is a unit that monitors the batteries charge and maintains it by shutting of charging until it detects the charge has dropped then it will start charging until fully charged then shut off.... There are a lot of trickle chargers that continuously charge and do not shut off when the battery gets fully charged and if left on for a long period will ruin the battery. When buying one make sure you don't get a trickle charger as the descriptions on the boxes can be misleading. I have four Battery tender Jr's that have worked flawlessly for ten years. Last battery on the bike lasted 7 years and just changed as a precaution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts