BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This August we are visiting family in the northern ND/MN (just north of Grand Forks) and would like to take a day trip to Winnipeg so we can say we took the bikes to Manitoba. Anyone with ideas what to do or see for a day trip?

·
Registered
371 Posts
"The Forks" would be your first stop - downtown, practically. A real cool place; shops, restaurants, etc., plenty of parking and walking areas. It's a major waterfront development where the two rivers meet (Red and Assiniboine).
Cruise up along the river after that. Assiniboine park (and zoo, time permitting); a very nice ride.

Or, cruise North on Main Street...for other sorts of wildlife. (Keep that clutch in at red lights!)

Side note: whenever I go to my former home, my first stop is at "V-Jays" for the absolutely best burger in North America. It's a shack on Main Street (on the way to the Forks from downtown core). Last three trips, I flew in, rented a car...and drove downtown immediately. Ditto at the end of my trip(s). First time, family thought I was nuts; but not after some of those double-cheeseburgers.
But, it's been a while, so I'll let others pipe in...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Manitoba is not famous for motorcycle roads - much like N. Dakota for terrain and climate. The Forks would be okay for a day trip, but for some history check out Lower Fort Garry. You could take Main Street North and then cross the Red River at Lockport for a nice tour. If you have more time check out Lake Winnipeg. A trip to Gimli gives you a good viewpoint and a few of the shops have some Icelandic flavor, reflecting the majority of the immigrants in the area originally. If you can make it a two day trip, head on east to Ontario on your way home and circle Lake of the Woods. You'll find some nice curved roads and a very picturesque part of the Canadian Shield. You have a few interesting options through Minnesota Lake Country for your return trip to Grand Forks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Almost forgot! A word of caution:
Should you come up directly on 75, if memory serves there is a curve in the road about 40 miles South of Winnipeg. Really. Don't get caught off-guard.
:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts