BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I had my tupperware of a couple of weeks ago I got a look at the winglets and discovered they're hollow, so that's how they put them lights in there! Hey I can do that, and so I did.

After a visit to the local Autozone I came home with a 2-pack of led's $9.95
and 2 matching light sockets $3.99 each. #194

I removed the mirrors and the 3 screws holding the winglets on
and then the 2 screws securing the top cover of the winglets
Drilled a 9/16 hole in the cover,
removed the protusions on the light sockets with a razor knife so they would be round,
and trimmed the "ribs" on the cover so the sockets would sit flush.
held the led light with a paper towel and plugged it in the socket then stuck it in the hole securing the whole thing with the 2 screws.
That's it except for the wiring, which I saved for another time when I already had the tupperware off,
I wired them into my headlight parking lamp through a switch
The actual "installation" of the lights took less than a half an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Hmmmmm - if by chance, Toad is nekkid when you and SilverBuffalo arrive in my 'hood next month, would you ... uhhhh .... show ole Toad how that mod won't hurt very much?? I'll drill the hole out when Toad ain't lookin'!!! :eek: :D

Great job, Hans. The farkle features just keep on keepin' on!!

BTW - I heard somebody say that if you lightly sandpaper the edges of the winglets, that might keep some more of the light luminescence bouncing around in there a bit longer!! Dunno for sure tho. :confused:

·
Registered
820 Posts
SilverBuffalo,

The leds you have work great at night time.
But almost un-noticeable during the day time.
i noticed this when i made my own and did more testing.
i ended up buying 2 x Luxeon Led 1 Watt Amber leds and mounting 2 in each of the wind deflectors and they can easily be noticed day or night.
Super damn bright at night time, and plain bright during the day :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You are right Dick, being the creator of the wings of gold, if you sand the edges of the Wings you get more light bouncing around in the plastic then you would without it.

Also I did give away the idea of the Wings of Gold for free to everyone in the Hall of Fame if you are interested in how it works and what to do.

but as you know, many people just wanted kits to buy instead.
So off to Cyclegadgets went my products since they are more established to sell them. Nice to know that everyone still loves having them on their K's!

Robert Ver Halen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts