BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed installing the tip-over wing LED lights and marker lights and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!
Turn off the lights in the shop and turn on the marker lights and it's Christmas! Got the kits from Rider West and they were complete. I used a 15 watt solder pencil and had no difficulties soldering the LEDs and resistors. Follow the step-by-step color instructions and you can't go wrong.
You don't have to be a master mechanic or electrician to do the job.
One recommendation: I tried to get the components locally and I could not find 3mm amber LEDs anywhere! Purchase the kit, it is worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wife is out of town with the camera! (grandkids!)
go to Rider West web site. Lots of flicks and you can download the color directions free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Keir,
Thanks for the great comments. If anyone wants to see what Keir is talking about, check out my web site (www.riderwest.com) or come to this year's CCR (if you can wait that long). I'll be there with my bike (in Raffy's area), which, or course, has every light kit that I make installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Larry, you did a great job on the kit. You even included extra amber leds!! My gorilla hands managed to break a few! I wired them into the clearance light on the chrome piece and they really look good.
Just hope the deer don't like them as much as I do. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
gearman,

Thanks. It's a bit tricky pushing those LEDs into the holes--I usually destroy a couple myself--that's why I include extras in the kit. But once they're in, it's not too big a deal soldering them all together. It sure gives a custom look to the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
wkclark said:
Pictures man !! :bmw:
Let's see that cool new farkle in digital color.
Keir
It does make a big diifrence at night.

I Did the same kits from Rider west.

Here are some pics of my install.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Ooo just saw new tip over wing LEDs from Rider West.

That is not what I have installed Yet, but did the wings of gold(In Blue), Running light/turn signal conversion the saddle bag reflector, Reflective tape and brake flasher from Rider West.

Have not put those tip over wing LEDs on yet Hmmmmm ;) possible farklelisation comming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
I'll have to say that it looks great but.......

There's a law on the books in most states that says.....
only a police vehicle is allowed to display blue lights

how do I know,
cause I got a ticket for it

my 66 FLH (Harley) was a former police motorcycle (Los Angeles)
it had a blue light on the top of the front fender (looked great)
rode it like that for ten years before I got the ticket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I'll have to say that it looks great but.......

There's a law on the books in most states that says.....
only a police vehicle is allowed to display blue lights

how do I know,
cause I got a ticket for it

my 66 FLH (Harley) was a former police motorcycle (Los Angeles)
it had a blue light on the top of the front fender (looked great)
rode it like that for ten years before I got the ticket.
Well I will let you know.
I did not even think about that until you mentioned it.
I have not heard of them giving tickets to any kids yet around here for the blue ground effect lighting they have under there cars.

If any Officers can confirm or deny this I would appreciate it.
I will check with some local law enforcment I know here.

Thanks Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I have the exact same setup on my blue 05. I replaced the parking lights with blue LEDs that burn while the headlight is on as well as the Wings of Gold in blue. While I know there is a risk of the ticket, the comments that I have gotten about how conspicuous it makes me, I'll take the ticket. I got the flashing brakelight from Larry at the CCR in GA and have been followed into a gas station twice by other bikes to ask where I got it. That brake light is worth it's weight in gold. Larry needs to rig one to his belt buckle while he is on the dance floor cause he is dancing fool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Here in my part of Arkansas the teens have learned that the blue undercar lights will give them the opportunity to donate $375 to the county.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I have been searching the sites to find a place to purchase the WIngs of Gold.
I like the looks and think the gold would look good on my 2003 Black LT which is the best color. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks for the help in advance. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Beajet said:
I have been searching the sites to find a place to purchase the WIngs of Gold.
:)
You can do it yourself it's easy
click here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
I think in most cases.... again I said most.... the lights themselves have to be visible.... not merely the light from them.... therefore as long as you can't see lamp itself you may be ok..... I know I had a pink neon tube around my front license plate on my 89 mustang while in high school. I wasn't a fan of pink but that is what the store had.... I never got bothered even in a small town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Dude! You had a pink neon tube around the license plate on your 'Stang? And you didn't get bothered? Must have been a REALLY SMALL town!!! :histerica

It's funny how when you're a kid you have to have that "whatever it is" right now and can't wait for it to come in the mail. Then you get old, the "whatever it is" changes and you order it on the web and the first thing you check when you get home is whether it came in the mail that day. UPS, FedEx? You monitor that sucker real time looking for movement!

A pink neon tube! Pretty sure I would have waited on this one!!! :clapping:

atrovarious said:
I think in most cases.... again I said most.... the lights themselves have to be visible.... not merely the light from them.... therefore as long as you can't see lamp itself you may be ok..... I know I had a pink neon tube around my front license plate on my 89 mustang while in high school. I wasn't a fan of pink but that is what the store had.... I never got bothered even in a small town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Speaking of Farkelization,
wish I could get these

For alot less than 89.00 Euros each (equivalent to half a million CDN) ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Dude! You had a pink neon tube around the license plate on your 'Stang? And you didn't get bothered? Must have been a REALLY SMALL town!!! :histerica

It's funny how when you're a kid you have to have that "whatever it is" right now and can't wait for it to come in the mail. Then you get old, the "whatever it is" changes and you order it on the web and the first thing you check when you get home is whether it came in the mail that day. UPS, FedEx? You monitor that sucker real time looking for movement!

A pink neon tube! Pretty sure I would have waited on this one!!! :clapping:
I wasn't bothered by cops in small towns... and it was a red Stang so the light looked fairly red..... Luckily I was well liked and kind of big and very secure ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Rickmick said:
Speaking of Farkelization,
wish I could get these

For alot less than 89.00 Euros each (equivalent to half a million CDN) ;)
Those are nice... and for 20-40 usd I might be tempted....
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top