BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my high OEM windshield clean off when my LT slipped driving it into my toyhauler. Both metal brackets broke off. Expensive lesson to not drive through water before loading the bike. $6500 in damage to the right side.

I need a new windshield. Was thinking about the OEM short or an aftermarket. Have riddin' without any windshield and it wasn't too bad. I think a short sporty one would work and look a lot better than stock.

Would appreciate a parts fiche and any recommedations for an aftermarket. Not sure if I could install it myself with the broken brackets.

·
Registered
152 Posts
eremite06 said:
Broke my high OEM windshield clean off when my LT slipped driving it into my toyhauler. Both metal brackets broke off. Expensive lesson to not drive through water before loading the bike. $6500 in damage to the right side.

I need a new windshield. Was thinking about the OEM short or an aftermarket. Have riddin' without any windshield and it wasn't too bad. I think a short sporty one would work and look a lot better than stock.

Would appreciate a parts fiche and any recommedations for an aftermarket. Not sure if I could install it myself with the broken brackets.

Is there enough left to save, and cut it down cleanly, to end-up with a 'short-sporty' one?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
eremite06 said:

if just the brackets are broken, there is at least one thread about cutting out new ones, I think Dick made some for his bike and might comment, did not think OEM windshield would break, made of polycarbonate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The two metal brackets broke off right at the base. And the polycarbonate windshield broke off at the top right corner. The bike tipped to the right and hit the side of my RV garage then slipped half way down my ramp. All I can see are the two stubs of broken metal that rotate to raise and lower the windshield. Anyone have the part numbers for the brackets or an explosive fiche to see how I install a new windshield?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understand the brackets are pot metal and made to break off during a crash. All I have left is one chrome cover. Can anyone give me the part# for the brackets, springs and chrome covers? I don't want an OEM shield for $500-$600. Want one I can look over. Is Cee Bailey the one preferred by most?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have a cee bailey #2 - 22'';and you can see over ;and still protects you from the wind. for 200 dollars.
Gary

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aside from price, what's the advantage to the Cee Bailey? I think the stock "Low" is also 22"

·
Registered
847 Posts
eremite06 said:
Aside from price, what's the advantage to the Cee Bailey? I think the stock "Low" is also 22"
The stock one is 24'' high;but maybe what you want to get is a 20'' cee bailey #2-4

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

A few dealers have parts fisch on line.

The brakets are designed for the windshield to pop out during an accident so that we don't have to go through it. It could be the brackets are made so that they will break if the pop out doesn't work?

The are afew long threads covering the pros and cons of materials and air flow.

Best from Tucon
Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts