BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... not much experience, riding on a rain (SoCa doesn't provide much of this staff), had some rain storms on my trip to Canada, found out that the windshield (+2) provide an excellent protection, but visibility is yok zero none... nothing, nada, barely could see the strips ... really scared the hell out of me, so with all the gadgets that we carry on this big Puppy, do you think a portable, windshield whipper is a bad idea ???????????????

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well, somebody might wonder all the farkles that I have on my bike, some of them created by myself, some stolen from others. But...a windshield wiper has never, ever turned me on :confused:

I usually ride behind the windshield in good weather but when it rains, I just lower it so that I am looking just through one single plexiglass (my helmet screen). There are plenty of stuff available that can be applied either on the screen or on the helmet visor in order to reduce the surface tension and thus help the water to disappear.

IMHO trying to keep a plastic screen free from scratches is tough enough without having a motorized "scrath-o-mat" doing it at steady pace together with the road grime...

Sorry but no thanks...

Regards

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.... my Windshield is to tall, even in its lowest position I am still looking through it .... I think it is a serious safety issue, small portable devise like they use on Golf Carts or boats, well design should not harm the windshield

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yair1956 said:
.... my Windshield is to tall, even in its lowest position I am still looking through it .... I think it is a serious safety issue, small portable devise like they use on Golf Carts or boats, well design should not harm the windshield
Yair,

I understand your problem and my suggestion is that you need a lower windshield. The actual safety issue is your too high screen, not the lack of a windshield wiper. LT has a nice adjustable windshield and one purpose of the mechanism is to allow the rider to look over the shield in some cases. If you cannot do that, you either should get a lower shield or trim you shield lower.

Depending on what kind of a shield you have, the trimming is either no big deal or it is impossible. The latter applies to CeeBaileys shields with wings, those you cannot trim shorter without destroying the whole idea of the shield.
Other shields can be trimmed from the bottom end with a table saw. (I have done it.)
If you need advise with the trimming, let me know, I'm glad to help you.

Regards

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here in the great North Wet, I can’t say we enjoy riding in the stuff, but if we don’t ride in it, we don’t get to ride much. So we’re definitely more used to being out in the rain than most folks. I can assure you that the ability to lower the wind screen while driving was primary selling point for the LT for me. Ari’s right, if you can get the windshield below eye level, the pressure of the wind will keep most of the rain off the helmet’s shield, especially if you have a light coat of wax on it.
It sounds like it would be a great idea, but I’ve seen windshield wipers put on aircraft that have basically the same plastic that’s on the LT…….believe me, you don’t want to do it; it scratches WAY too easy! A little road spray smeared back and forth and you’ll be replacing it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If you ride in Florida, in the summer, you ride in the rain. I simply lower the windshield and use the full face helmet. Two or three (sunglasses) blocks are too much. The Nolan full face does an excellent job and that's without anything on the faceplate. Haven't tried Rain X as it's not necessary on a clean faceplate. Rain drops simply runnnnnnnnn.

·
Registered
809 Posts
yair1956 said:
..... barely could see the strips ... really scared the hell out of me, so with all the gadgets that we carry on this big Puppy, do you think a portable, windshield whipper is a bad idea ???????????????
If it's raining so hard you can barely see the stripes, it's time to find an overpass or a hotel for the night! I don't mind the rain, but that would be a bit too much for me!

Whipper? Whipper? We don't need no stinking whipper!

Regards,

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
What is with this Whipper thing... are you guys in to S&M... LOL
you must mean "wiper"

wacolt said:
If it's raining so hard you can barely see the stripes, it's time to find an overpass or a hotel for the night! I don't mind the rain, but that would be a bit too much for me!

Whipper? Whipper? We don't need no stinking whipper!

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts