BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a windshield wiper for a bike - like the LT?? I may be getting old, but I just don't like it when I'm going down the highway and can't see. I don't mind the rain, just doing 60 MPH and the car/truck dissappears in front of me, is just not as much fun as it could be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never heard of one on a motorcycle, but thinking it through there would probably be a problem with the plastic sheild scatching when wiping all the road grime off. Have you tried waxing your shield? This helps by shedding the water in beads instead of smearing. Good luck

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Jburwell said:
Has anyone seen a windshield wiper for a bike - like the LT?? I may be getting old, but I just don't like it when I'm going down the highway and can't see. I don't mind the rain, just doing 60 MPH and the car/truck dissappears in front of me, is just not as much fun as it could be.
Yup, it's been done. Gent in Florida (IIRC) had one (1) installed on the LT's shield. I can't remember any details as to how it operated (wind up or battery or hardwire), butt a pic or two is in the old archived files going way back. Time permits, I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
170 Posts
have you tried adusting the windshield to a different angle to get better movement of water off of it?

Haven't had any rain in my first 5000 miles since buying my bike, so I cant speak from experience.

Brian in Austin ......( had our first rainfall in 6 weeks last Sunday night)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wildwestrider said:
have you tried adusting the windshield to a different angle to get better movement of water off of it?
/QUOTE]
I do that and it work some. My problem is the mist for trucks and very heavy rain

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are several options for boat windshields that might work. You might take a look at some of the marine sites.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lower the windshield and look over it, the wind will then blow the rain off your face shield. In severe conditions you can then easily wipe the face shield clean if needed.

-Chuck-

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ditto,

Also get a good glove with a squeegee on it, or one of them squeegee's that fit over your thumb.

charlieg said:
Lower the windshield and look over it, the wind will then blow the rain off your face shield. In severe conditions you can then easily wipe the face shield clean if needed.

-Chuck-

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Rainex works real good.

Guy from Florida turned me on to that, he rode in the rain all the time/

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just saw this... I have one and people laugh but I am from Oregon and ride in everything but ice... I love it.

http://www.healthandperformance.org/ltmod/

Alot of log trucks out here with no fenders, they throw up alot of dirty water... dirty water is the real need.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jburwell said:
I don't mind the rain, just doing 60 MPH and the car/truck dissappears in front of me, is just not as much fun as it could be.
EXACTLY! I have a bad habit of pushing it harder in the rain to stay dry.

Mine is a Jeep motor and controls you can get at the NAPA store. It has adjustable delay and everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts