BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tricks to removing the windshield. I don't want to break the little chrome things.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is a metal bracket under the chrome trim that has pressure tabs to hold the chrome trim in place. Push the chrome trim toward the center of the windshield to relieve the tension, then lift the trim off from the side that's toward the center of the shield. It might feel like it's going to break, but it'll be fine. You may have to grab the trim with the tips of your fingers to pull out. Then, you have two screws on each metal bracket, and it's off!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Seems like I remember cringing every time I wanted to remove the windshield because of the two chrome pieces. Both are held on by friction and occasionally it sounded like it was braking when I removed it. I think I pealed them from the inside.

There are lots of tiny finger like pieces that hold them in place and occasionally a few will bend and brake. After removing and replacing mine several times, I probably lost maybe 25% of them without a noticeable effect on the holding power. The chrome strip is just for looks and covers up the screws.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ditto to Dan's comment - every time I've done it, I've been freaking out that I'm gonna break something, but it has worked each time. Be super careful on putting the new screen on - the torque setting is very low (measured in inch-pounds, not foot pounds) and it's easy to crack a windshield. HTH.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Its defiantly a tight fit and you have to give it good solid steady pressure I did the first one and it felt like my finger tips were cut open, so on the second I used my summer riding gloves to help cushion my delicate fingers..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Since I don't have all my fingertips on one hand, I use a cloth and a fairly small screwdriver with pressure from the other hand on the clip. It ain't pretty, but it works. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
rowie said:
Ditto to Dan's comment - every time I've done it, I've been freaking out that I'm gonna break something, but it has worked each time. Be super careful on putting the new screen on - the torque setting is very low (measured in inch-pounds, not foot pounds) and it's easy to crack a windshield. HTH.
And don't forget to put the little thin rubber washers between the windshield and the lifting arms. If you don't the windshield will crack for sure. If you don't have the washers cut some out of a bicycle inner tube or get some round shaped ones from the hardware store.

Loren

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
All good advice. Just did it. Grab from the outside of the chrome and pull towards the center. The Clymer's manual was really vague about this; that, or I'm an idiot.

Also, anyone doing this should wear gloves or risk ripping a few your skin or nails off.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
wArt said:
All good advice. Just did it. Grab from the outside of the chrome and pull towards the center. The Clymer's manual was really vague about this; that, or I'm an idiot.

Also, anyone doing this should wear gloves or risk ripping a few your skin or nails off.
Hmmmm - that's weird. Of all the tech sessions I've been to, and all the times I've taken the chrome thingies off of ole Toad's windshield, I've watched folks remove those thingies by 'always' pulling up from the inside and rotating to outboard of the shield. Maybe if the little metal thingies that hold the windshield to the brackets were switched and the tabs were located on the inboard position, it might be possible to pull from the outboard side toward the inboard (center of shield) side. Butt, if that happened, then the chrome pieces would have to be switched? Hmmmm - weird.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Dick, you're correct. Memory fault on my part. Here is a picture of the left windshield mount cover (if it uploaded), with the bottom being the outside edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
wArt said:
Dick, you're correct. Memory fault on my part. Here is a picture of the left windshield mount cover (if it uploaded), with the bottom being the outside edge.
Thanks, Stu.
Thought I wuz having a *moment* there!! :histerica

·
Registered
513 Posts
in my foolishness, i've broken off some of the tabs that the 'thingie's' slide into. i have had to put a couple of dabs of silicone adhesive to hold them in place. not too much-just enough to hold them. should i need to remove them again, i will just use more silly cone.

signed: el dumbo

·
Registered
63 Posts
mycamel said:
in my foolishness, i've broken off some of the tabs that the 'thingie's' slide into. i have had to put a couple of dabs of silicone adhesive to hold them in place. not too much-just enough to hold them. should i need to remove them again, i will just use more silly cone.

signed: el dumbo
Has anyone found a way to eliminate a low RPM viberation from the little chrome thingie's? It does not hurt anything just drives you nuts while idling and a stop light.
I might try a little pice of foam next time I take them off.

Dave
07 K1200LT

·
Registered
513 Posts
double sided taped pads available at all hardware stores. when you remove the plastic/chrome pieces, cut thin slices of the pads and place at top and bottom and re-install. SMALL pieces will allow you to easily remove the plastic/chrome with little or no effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts