BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 R1200RT and was in the process of doing several winter upgrades (farkels) including a new slightly larger windshield. I've been reading post on this forum for several years going back to when I owned a K1200LT. Several threads in the past talked about some issues with the (assumably plastic) support arms breaking on some of the R1200RTs when a larger windshield was attached. One of the remedies discussed was a set of metal support arms from West Tool & Design to replace the plastic arms BMW was using.

When I removed my windshield and the front nose area, I was all ready to replace the right and left support arms with the West Tool upgraded arms but in examining the original BMW support arms on my 2008 R1200RT the support appear to be made of metal.

Does anyone know if BMW upgraded the support arms on later RT's (assumably at least by 2008)?

Has anyone with a 2008 or later RT had any issue with a cracked or failed support arm (particularly after an aftermarket windshield was added to the bike)?

:bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
As far as I know, the issue of windscreen support arm failure has been localized to those who mounted aftermarket screens.

Over the years I have read numerous threads about it and I do not recall a failure report from anyone using stock screens... but I will bet you someone will chime in with some...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's true. Most, if not all, of the failures in the past of the support arms were in the cases where aftermarket screens were added to the R1200RT. Some of the threads describe multiple failures until the support arms were changed out to the West Tool metal support arms.

As stated above, I purchased an aftermarket screen and the West Tool support arms so I could change everything out at once but found when I got to the origina lBMW support arms that they appear to be made of metal, not of plastic that people had problems with up to 2007. I have an 2008 R1200RT and, frankly, I could not find any posts from owners of 2008 or later R1200RT who have had a support arm failure. This leads me to conclude BMW made a change from plastic to metal after 2007.

If anyone has a 2008 or later R1200RT and has had a windshield support arm fail with an aftermarket windshield, please post and let us know. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I don't think anyone ever said they were made of plastic. Folks said they were fatigue prone pot metal.

I replaced mine, fairly easy job. I am running a Ztechnik Vstream standard nsize screen which I have heard has not caused the problem. (Tall maybe)

It seems Cee Bailey and the other bigger shields seem to do the arms in!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 06 RT has had failures in both arms , they were original and a type of pot metal. For that material , the flimsy construction of the arms made their failure predictable. FYI I also have a V stream shield. My extended warranty covered them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts