BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any dealers that have good deals on a new windshield, there are 2 dealers in my area and there is a $45 difference in price between them, just want to find one that has a decent price.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Do you want to replace your windshield with a stock one? If so get the part number and checkout chicago BMW's web site. They often have the best price on parts if you order on-line, but you need the part number.

I have recently replaced my windshield with the Cee Bailey #2 -3" and I find it to be far better than stock. Much less wind noise, clearer, I am very satisfied. It is a different material than stock and some guys have concerns about what would happen with an accident. It is acrylic vs polycarbonate.

Hope this helps. BTW where are you in NC?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, ordered one from chicago bmw, live west of charlotte, small town called "Kings Mountain", down I-85, past Gastonia.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice area out that way. I'm in the other end of the state.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
sheldan2 said:
thanks for the info, ordered one from chicago bmw, live west of charlotte, small town called "Kings Mountain", down I-85, past Gastonia.
You're not far from Gunny. He's in Shelby, NC.

- Bob

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
docwagner said:
I have recently replaced my windshield with the Cee Bailey #2 -3" and I find it to be far better than stock. Much less wind noise, clearer, I am very satisfied. It is a different material than stock and some guys have concerns about what would happen with an accident. It is acrylic vs polycarbonate.
docwagner,

This is an issue near and dear to me, also. I'm on the quest for a better windshield. Which windshield has some concerned -- the stock, or the Cee Bailey?

Also: is there a return/refund policy with Cee Bailey, Aeroflow, etc.? I can envision trying several different sizes before finding the "ah hah -- that's it!" model.

TIA.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,178 Posts
Howard,

I just put a stock shield on my 05. Had the euro before - big difference. No buffet now.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
jzeiler said:
I just put a stock shield on my 05. Had the euro before - big difference. No buffet now.
I have the BMW stock and BMW tall windshields. Not real pleased with either one of them, and was curious what kind of "buy until you're satisfied" policy Cee Bailey or Aeroflow might have; I'll check directly with them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Cee Bailey - Yes!

Cee Bailey custom cuts their windshields to what you order. They will not take returns due to height issues. They are an aircraft windshield manufacturer.(Among other things) There is no comparison between the extreme high quality and clarity of their product to the stock windshield. No comparison. Their aerodynamics are far superior in reducing wind buffeting for both rider and pillion. They also do not fog up as the stock shields do in cold weather. Just remember to read the instructions if ordering on line or call them and speak to someone directly about height. Cee Bailey shields perk up nicely with the rejuvenating compound included to where bugs and grime come off with just water and a damp cloth. I have a Cee Bailey #2 -2 in light gray tint for summer and a Cee Bailey #2 -2 with wings in clear for winter. The windshield motor can extend both moving up to about 75 mph abeit not very quickly over 50 mph.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
There is a third option

You also have another option besides Cee Bailey and Aeroflow. Check out Parabellum's web site. I'm riding behind a standard right now and will probably be going to a -2 in the future. I know -=grif=- rides behind a -2 and loves it. So does Sandy, if -=grif=- is to be believed. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Bob & Steve,

Thanks for the additonal comments. This is what I was looking for.

I have read most (all?) of the various threads concerning windshields; I'm aware it's one of the several topics that everyone cares about and everyone has an opinion on. I always welcome others' input, as I don't have any experience with these.

My goal is a windshield (with or w/o wings) that provides a relatively calm envelope of air for my wife, who rides as passenger. So far, having tried only the stock windshield and BMW's tall windshield, I have been disappointed. I would not look forward to buying another windshield only to have it not do what we are looking for.

In the meantime I'll keep reading here and on the various vendors' web sites. Some day I'll order another one!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
hschisler said:
docwagner,

... Which windshield has some concerned -- the stock, or the Cee Bailey? ...

TIA.
The Cee Bailey. Some folks have said that they would not ride behind an acrylic windshield, preferring BMW's polycarbonate.

- Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
Windshield replacement

I just received a Parabellum windscreen for my LT. The optics are excellent, far quieter than my tall stock, less buffeting, improved fuel economy. the only thing is their standard height is taller than the BMW tall, My stock tall I looked over the screen in fully lowered position by 2.5-3". The Parabellum in the fully kowered position I look right thru the top leading edge of screen.

The other benefit is you lose the annoying reflection of instrument panel at night.
I am going to send my unit back and either get the short version(2" shorter)or have this unit cut down by 1.25-1.5"

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi, Sheldan. I'm just South of you in Greenville, SC. Send me a PM if you're interested in riding to Atlanta later this month for the motorcycle show.

Don't know if you are planning to attend CCR in August (North Georgia), but the Cee Bailey company will be there with a stack of "demo" shields that you can attach to your bike and test drive. I've been wanting to replace my stock shield and may wait until CCR so that I can "try before I buy" without having to ship windshields in and back. I think they will sell the demo shields at the end of the rally, probably at a little discount.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
BushWacker said:
So what is the difference between Parabellum, Acrylic and Polycarbonate and what reasoning do riders state that they won't ride behind Acrylic?
Acrylic will shatter into sharp shards. The concern is that in a crash you could get cut/stabbed/impaled. Others can speak with more authority/experience on this. My take is: I suppose it's possible, but ... I'll still be ordering a Cee Bailey.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I switched my tall OEM windscreen for a Cee Bailey #2 with wings -3"......
The reason for switching was karen was getting too much wind/noise and wanted the OEM screen all the way up.
I ride with the Cee Bailey all the way down and she's happy.
(and I get a better view over the top and thru the screen)
much quietier also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts