BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
he2bj said:
I am wondering if anyone has tried an aftermarket windshield they will recommend to the owners of the 1600 gtl to rid some of the buffiting . thanks Hal
This is kind of like asking if anyone has found a religion preferable to Catholicism. :eek:

But I will give you a simple answer: I have a CalSci and like it very much.

There are approximately 12,381 posts on this subject on the K1600 forum, so if you have a few hours to kill and want the longer answer, you might want to check over there.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Unfortunarely asking about windshield is like asking about political preferences, or perhaps about which oil is better. It is really a matter of personal likes or dislikes. Some prefer Calsci, some Cee Bailey and on and on. Until you actually try one there is no telling if you will like it or not. I have a Cee Bailey on order with the vent and I will see how it pans out. If I don't think it's better than the stock GTL shield I may try a Calsci later on. Than of course what usually follows is a discussion about the height of the windshield and that gets everyone going again. Have fun and good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
JimE said:
But I will give you a simple answer: I have a CalSci and like it very much.

There are approximately 12,381 posts on this subject on the K1600 forum, so if you have a few hours to kill and want the longer answer, you might want to check over there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+1

·
Registered
837 Posts
You may want to hold out a little bit longer before you purchase a windshield. Aeroflow is due to come out with their windshield shortly. It would give you one other option to look at before spending a bunch of money. I bought a Cee Bailey before I knew about Aeroflow coming out with one for the K1600.

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I was in an incredible rain shower today for about 30 minutes and I was surprised at how well the Cal-Sci did. Very little rain went through the hole and with it at it lowest position, most of the rain went over my head, except when I had to slow down and then stop.

I got soaked. Rain suit was in the garage! I had just gotten cleaned up, taken two showers after two dives in the shark tank and then got soaked.... Nice windshield though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just added a Z-Technic V-Stream to my K1600GT-L. I was lucky enough to ride a buddies R-1200RT for about 50 miles with one installed and instantly fell in love. I ordered mine and everything I liked about it on the RT followed through on the K1600. I feel its far superior to the Cee-Baileys windshield I had on my old 2002 LT. One minor negative is that the outside corners slightly reflect the bright Silver handlebar mount flange on the steering head. I don't consider this a big negative as I've always intended to disassemble and paint the bars Matte black anyway (I prefer a blacked out cockpit). I'll probably do this at my 12K service in the next month.

·
Registered
659 Posts
old1951 said:
I just added a Z-Technic V-Stream to my K1600GT-L. I was lucky enough to ride a buddies R-1200RT for about 50 miles with one installed and instantly fell in love. I ordered mine and everything I liked about it on the RT followed through on the K1600. I feel its far superior to the Cee-Baileys windshield I had on my old 2002 LT. One minor negative is that the outside corners slightly reflect the bright Silver handlebar mount flange on the steering head. I don't consider this a big negative as I've always intended to disassemble and paint the bars Matte black anyway (I prefer a blacked out cockpit). I'll probably do this at my 12K service in the next month.
I'd like to know if it helps the pillion rider much without cranking the shield clear up. I don't imagine that will happen with any windshield design for this bike. Oh well, solo riding isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
258 Posts
According to my wife it does help quite a bit. The V-Stream is considerably wider than the stock windshield at the top which move the airflow out! However, I've also had my seat raised 1-1/2 inches taller than the stock "high seat", so I sit higher and in turn run my windshield higher which helps her. My wife rides her own F800-ST and is used to the wind associated with M/C riding. She thinks she in heaven on the GTL since she gets so much more protection than on her F800. She once told one of my local club wives (who drove a car to an event) to "find some gumption and ride with him or risk losing him to someone who will." Ouch! Well, I guess I'm just lucky that I have wife who loves riding (although she didn't start riding until she met me and was 55; ooowh, did I actually say that?). Good luck to everyone who has a temperamental pillion rider. I found a good one and I'm not giving her up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
he2bj said:
I am wondering if anyone has tried an aftermarket windshield they will recommend to the owners of the 1600 gtl to rid some of the buffiting . thanks Hal
Dont understand the queation. I have no buffeting with the stock windshild. Can see no need for aftermarket one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts