BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise how to remove the windshield on a 02 K1200LT? I've Goggled different terms and looked here without success.

Thank you,

Dave

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
It's very simple ... just pop off the 2 plastic covers from the front of the shield and you'll see 4 screws 2 on each side . remove the screws and there you go.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
And hope the little "combs" don't break off when you remove the plastic trim pieces. The "combs" I mean are what grips the metal retainer under them, they are thin plastic and aparently break quite easily.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A very large rock or a brick should do the trick !!!

( but be careful, you might put out your throwing arm)

I know, I know.......it IS Saturday...

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
With Care

With Care, the little plastic "combs" don't break off. The trim is pulled of by rotating along its length from the inside towards the outside. The 4 screws are all that hold on the screen, be sure not to loose the rubber mounts under the screen. To replace, recommend you buy the OEM screws. They come with an encapsulated loctite already on the threads. The early manual said to reassemble with cleaned threads and Loctite 243, but the latter manual goes with the OEM screws. The earlier experience with loctite seemed to lead towards cracking around the holes in the polycarbonate screen. Very low torque for the screws, 2 Nm. Cheers

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had to replace two of these chrome trim pieces on my last LT from multiple removals and installs. After the second replacement, I used a two part clear epoxy to fill the combs in and have not had a repeat problem with one yet. Did the same thing on my current LT to be on the proactive side. Not quite sure why the comb area is not more solid. Or why I just seemed to break off a section of the comb each time I removed one.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Morley said:
And hope the little "combs" don't break off when you remove the plastic trim pieces. The "combs" I mean are what grips the metal retainer under them, they are thin plastic and aparently break quite easily.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Take out the 2 top screws out first and when going back, put them in after the bottom 2, makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success

I just finished changing out the windshield and it went very smooth. Thanks to everyone who responded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts