BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Windshield removal...Help

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  palarimer 
#1 ·
Technical People,

I am trying to replace on my 2005 LT, the OEM windshield for a Cee Baily's, I have read the previous posts on the forum, this one being the more descriptive;

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4053

However even with this, a Clymer's manual, and a liberal amount of Anglo Saxon language, i simply cannot get chrome covers off their mounts. From the inside of the shield the fixings look the same as in the manual, Did they change?, or is it that because they have never been taken off before they have 'set' in their mounts.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Regards

Mike

#2 ·
The chrome pieces pry off and feel and sound like they are going to break!

There are tiny nubs that do break after a while, but loosing a few is not critical. Just pry from one side. I can't remember if one side is better than the other. Seems like I just used my hands.

It's all in the thread that you added.

#4 ·
Ran out real quick and took a look........Pull from the inside side of the chrome piece. That's the side that has the rounded clip clip on the carrier. You'll see what I mean when you get it off. If I can't do it at the first go 'round, I'll use a wood paint mixing stick.

Best O'luck
Pat

mikebridle said:
Technical People,

I am trying to replace on my 2005 LT, the OEM windshield for a Cee Baily's, I have read the previous posts on the forum, this one being the more descriptive;

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4053

However even with this, a Clymer's manual, and a liberal amount of Anglo Saxon language, i simply cannot get chrome covers off their mounts. From the inside of the shield the fixings look the same as in the manual, Did they change?, or is it that because they have never been taken off before they have 'set' in their mounts.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Regards

Mike

#5 ·
+1. It is a bit disconcerting to do this yourself for the first time, but the chrome trim pieces on the windscreen are removed by hand - no tools required.

If it helps - and this does not contradict the previous posts, but merely states it in different terms - each chrome piece is removed from the center of the windscreen outwards to its respective outboard side. Try standing on one side of the windscreen, reach across to the middle of the windscreen, and use your fingernails to get under the inboard edge of the chrome piece, then lift up. The piece will come off but it will take more force than you think.

You may want to lay the pieces aside in the same orientation in which you removed them. It's easy to mess it up if you don't have a reference.

#7 ·
And make sure you don't loose the little rubber washers, if by chance you do a place like lowe's or pretty much any hardware store

#8 ·
+ 1 on pulling from the inside. I dig my finger tips into those %$#@*&!!! chrome pieces, pull like like a mad man with steady pressure and use your first joint knuckles as fulcrums, rolling the %^$#@*&!!! chrome pieces upward. It's like Chinese water torture but they do release.

Torque on the winshield screws is 7lbs, I think the Bailey's instruction say about what a water bottle top torque is.

You'll love the CB, I got a -4 and it works wonderfully.

#9 ·
While we are at it, can't recommend adding Loctite to the screws.

If have the story correct, the factory screws have the pre-installed Loctite which is semi-cured, but when liquid Loctite is used, the fumes while curing react with the polycarbonate and result in starburst cracks around the mounting screws.

My Vstream/Ztechnik has some small cracks forming around the mounting holes. I thought it was the hardware store washers I used that were not very soft, but after research have concluded the Loctite may have contributed.

JimH.

#10 ·
Yes those chrome covers are pesky and I also messed up my fingertips trying to get them off. They really do sound like they're breaking when they snap off, but they hang in there.

Interestingly when installing my CB windshield I used a small micro torque wrench with 7 ft-lb reading (actually I used a micrometer torque wrench with inch-pounds, I know I got the conversion correct, and the wrench is reading correctly when compared with other wrenches), and I was super careful about the install as per many of the posts on this board. The shield still cracked from the bottom bolt holes down to the bottom edge of the shield - I was not a happy camper at the time. In an attempt to get some strength into it I did put into the crack some glue I have called "The Last Glue You'll Ever Need" which is very thin, tends to run into cracks like that (I flexed it a little to ensure it did), sets up in a lack of oxygen (i.e. only in the crack) and is super strong (used on aircraft bodies and windshields etc). The shield has held up well, and after griping about those cracks (in my head, not on this board) for a few months I just put it down to one of those things that the chrome covers cover so you can't see it anyway. Obviously I'd prefer not to have the cracks, so be super careful putting it on (made no difference in my case). I've ridden the bike in 55mph gusty cross, head and tail winds (not for the faint of heart - a complete unscheduled lane change at 60mph with me fighting it all the way sure gets your attention) and it all held up just fine.

#11 ·
Did my shield this weekend, my soft computer programmer finger tips were not liking pulling on the chrome pieces so I put on my summer riding gloves worked like a charm.

I did have some of the tabs on the inside of the chrome snap when I did the right side cover though, I think I had a slightly downward angle on my pull because the bike was on the side stand. I recommend placing the bike on the center stand so you can get good even pressure when you roll the inside edge up with your fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.