BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one of these windshield arms - left side as you sit in the saddle? I suspect not, unless you have a trashed windshield adjustment unit. It looks like they used pot metal on these short arms, and the pivot hole at the pivot pin end of that short arm (closest to the dash) on ole Toad's bracket broke (long, long story that I'll get to shortly!).

Click here for pic of gosling's pivot arm. His is in good shape - ole Toad's not so much!! The arm in the pic is the one with the upsidedown 'B' a littlle to the left of the spring tang.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Howdy Dick,

I suspect you get the prize... I mean who else has busted one of these? :histerica

I'm thinking beemerboneyard.com 'cause they part out wrecks and no one else needs what your looking for so they've gotta have one, huh?

Or maybe I missed the threads and you're not alone in this??

Long story? We want to hear it. :)

Cheers from the Deep South of Vermont.

Edited to append:
http://beemerboneyard.com/wiwias.html

I went to the boneyard site and looked for a windshield mechanism. Seems they don't have one right now, so maybe you're not alone in this.

Dick said:
Anybody have one of these windshield arms - left side as you sit in the saddle? I suspect not, unless you have a trashed windshield adjustment unit. It looks like they used pot metal on these short arms, and the pivot hole at the pivot pin end of that short arm (closest to the dash) on ole Toad's bracket broke (long, long story that I'll get to shortly!).

Click here for pic of gosling's pivot arm. His is in good shape - ole Toad's not so much!! The arm in the pic is the one with the upsidedown 'B' a littlle to the left of the spring tang.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hola, Curtis - great to hear from ya. I been enjoying zackybilly1's thread on the FD issues - ain't that sumpthin'!!!

Anyway, thanks for checking over at BBYard for my pos piece!! Those are the darndest thangs I've seen on a BMW - you can break 'em in two like snap beans!! I have a feeling that what I'm gonna do is find me a machine shop and have 'em make me up a few, using the right side arm for a copy. (Wish Evan Guy lived close to me like he used to!! ;) ). However, in the meantime, I'm looking at different salvage sites and re-cyclers and see what turns up.

I been holding off on the 'long' story, outta pure embarrassment!! It's one of those "A Funny Thang Happened on the way to the Forums" this morning, and I'm headed out to the garage to do a quick run thru the LT site. Picture this - Cheryl's cage parked in left slot of the garage, headed out. Ole Toad parked in the right side of the garage, headed in, on the sidestand. I'm in a hurry to go to the storage unit to change ole Toad's sparkle plugs. I'm booting up, using the passenger footrest on the foot brake side of ole Toad. That puts me 'tween cage and Toad. One boot on - second boot goes on and I guess when I straightened up, I musta put pressure on ole Toad and I can't stop the fall!!! To Toad's right. Toward her cage!! And me in between!! I'm pinned in. Windshield rubbed on the cage; saddle bag rubbed on the cage's front wheel rim, and the only way out is to step up on ole Toad and jump off on the sidestand side!! Man, I hate this picture - it's gonna stay with me for a hunnert years. Holler for Cheryl - laundry room appliances are 'enabled' and she can't hear. I don't got the phone on me, so I do the step on/jump off dance and work on begging forgiveness when I see the rub on the Benz!! Oh damn - there goes a hunnert years of kitchen passes!!! :(

Into the kitchen - "Hey, can I help with peeling the shrimp for today's lunch?" sez moi.

"Whattid you do?" sez Cheryl. "Should I go out to the garage?" sez Cheryl. Oh, damn, it's gonna be TWO hunnert years!!

Well, to shorten the saga, we go survey the situation - she sez she can help by pulling on the lift handle if I can get back in 'tween the cage and ole Toad and do the back-it-up dance. Would you believe? She's never been on ole Toad and she knows about the 'putcher butt on the seat and back up' drill!!! I'm stunned!

Sure enough, ole Toad straightens up and I get the "Yessir" answer to the sidestand down question. All is well - so far. I'm huffin' and puffin' and she's back in the casa, peelin' shrimp!! Get out the scratch removal paste that I JUST bought Thursday to clean ole Toad up; and sure enough; a little elbow grease on the cage and you gotta know where it is to see the rub. Didn't go thru the paint.

So - there's my Forum confession thang. Dang me. Oh yeah, the windshield arm thangie - the windshield didn't crack when it hit the cage, but it twisted and bent that little arm and dislodged the pivot pin. No biggie - I'm heading to the shed and I'll fix it there. Nope - it done broke good, as I see after I removed the shield and took off the dash hood. Thus my hunt for the arm!!

Anybody wanna give room and board to that feller in charge of Murphy's Law!!! I need him outta here!! :rolleyes:

BTW - this ain't the end to the saga. Wait 'til you hear what happened in the shed - on the lift - halfway up!!!

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Dick, sorry to hear about your "miss-adventures"
As you guys would say "you got a keeper " But you knew that.
Metal polish is fine, but you could always try flowers. :histerica
Cheers

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hilton said:
Dick, sorry to hear about your "miss-adventures"
As you guys would say "you got a keeper " But you knew that.
Metal polish is fine, but you could always try flowers. :histerica
Cheers
Hi, Hilton - thanks for the ping. Can't believe you guyz are still on the run!! Where wuz it I met you two - Breckenridge? Santa Fe? Both. You hadn't given up work yet, at that point!!

Yup - flowers will help. I done bought out all the Mom's Day cards at Wal-Mart; blaming those cute sayings on the four-legged, permanent house guests, who all write their cursive just alike!! :rolleyes: ;)

Take care, Hilton. A lifetime of memories are gonna be your legacy!! Be safe.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Laughing out loud, Dick.
Sorry for your troubles, truly.
But your write up is just too danged funny.

Reminds me a little of the time I had my LT on the centerstand on my gravel driveway. I've got my arm way up under the front fairing with my hand jamed into some sort of contorted position between the parts, trying to unplug the air sensor at the air box.
The front fork tube seemed to be in my way, so with my free hand I reached up to the handle bar to change the front wheel angle.

Well that was all the centerstand needed to dig into the driveway and the bike fell over away from me. With my arm jamed up into the bike the only thing I could do was follow my arm so it wouldn't get ripped out of its sockets, so I go over with the bike, kinda like getting thrown by a judo expert.

There I was, laying on my back, sorta draped over the front wheel with the bike lying on her side, my hand still stuck somewhere up around the air temp sensor....

·
Registered
322 Posts
I broke one of those this spring also. I used 1/4" lexan to make a replacement. Just traced the original on it, drilled the holes then cut it out on the bandsaw. So far so good.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rcoolbaugh said:
I broke one of those this spring also. I used 1/4" lexan to make a replacement. Just traced the original on it, drilled the holes then cut it out on the bandsaw. So far so good.
Thats a great idea, Ralph. I may give that a try. Lexan, huh? Wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's what I had on hand and very easy to work with.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bobst2 said:
so what about the lift half way up
sounds like another good story,i would love to here the rest
Workin' up to it, Bob. It's gonna turn out to be a doozie!!! :mad:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Dick, I just saw this post and it occurred to me that we might have that piece in our pile of parts from our salvaged LT, but don't know for sure. It is over at Art's shop, so I will need to go dig around over there to see if I can locate any of the windshield linkage. So, don't count on it, but we will look for ya just in case it was not destroyed in the accident way back then.

John

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey Dick,
I don't know what type of tools you have available to you, but If you have some basic wood working tools (jiggle saw) and a drill, or better a drill press, it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate one out of Aluminum. If you have a metal fabricator in the area, or better yet a boat builder, you could probably get a scrap of aluminum big enough to make one out of. I spent years as a custom yacht builder, and would on occasion fabricate aluminum parts for the welder, and found aluminum to be very easy to work with regular wood working tools. Just an option for ya. I am not sure about the damage to the pivot mount, althought on my bike when purchased had evidently taken a spill that broke the plastic base that is part of that mount, causing the windshield to flop around a lot. I used superglue to glue all the busted parts together, then used some quick setting epoxy to build a reinforcement around the stressed areas, and it has held up for 2 years ( where's the darn fingers crossed emoticon?) elsewise that base part for the pivot pins is PITA for replacement from what I could see...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AlaskaFish said:
Dick, I just saw this post and it occurred to me that we might have that piece in our pile of parts from our salvaged LT, but don't know for sure. It is over at Art's shop, so I will need to go dig around over there to see if I can locate any of the windshield linkage. So, don't count on it, but we will look for ya just in case it was not destroyed in the accident way back then.

John
Wow - thanks John. Appreciate the look - butt seriously now, don't go to a lot of trouble, and don't rush. I think me and ole Toad are gonna be unaccupado for awhile. Got beeg trouble down at the shed. Another :eek: moment - story coming up.

I do thank you and Art, tho. And just in case - I don't think there is a lick of difference 'tween the left and right arm profile, so if you only have the right side, I can use it in place of ole Toad's busted left arm. TIA.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, Rich. Good info for sure. I don't own those tools (my job description wuz written by the same feller that wrote Murphy's Law!! ;) ), butt I do have a friend whose hobby is woodworking, so I could ax for a favor, I'm sure. I like the idea of aluminium, as well as the Lexan that Ralph mentioned, and shouldn't have trouble finding either in the Boerne area. Thanks for the recommendation, Rich.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK - courage mode enabled!!

After 'kitchen pass dispenser' helped me pick up ole Toad from lounging up against her cage, and seeing the excellent rub-out job me and Mr. DuPont did on the paint ding, the plan wuz to go to the shed and change out ole Toad's spark plugs. Hit the gate code to git in; opened the stall; rode up on the Handy Lift thang and did the dis-assembly of the windshield adjustment stuff to find the fractured pivot arm. Got that outta the way, so now it's time to raise the lift and start removing tupperware. Hmmmm - we're gonna work on the left side of the bike, so let's move the lift over a little bit to the right for some added room. Git ole Toad off the lift; git the dolly attached and begin forward/backward rolling to move the lift over a little bit. Hey, better move the 8-wire, 2 gauge electrical cord over to the right side of the lift --- done. Stow the dolly. Park ole Toad up on the lift - again. Plug in the 8-wire, 2 gauge cord and slide the 'up' lever to go - UP. All is well for about 18-20 inches of altitude and then we hear a click-pause-click-pause-cliCK-pause-CLICK-jerk-permanent pause!! WTF, over?!?!? Up lever no more workee; down lever no workee. Walk around Mr. Handy to survey the situation --- AW OH chit; howz come that 8-wire 2 gauge cord is pinned UNDER the lift's crossbar?? That don't look too good! S'posed to be free. Oh me!! :eek: Better unplug Ms. 8-wire, 2 gauge cord and re-survey!

Yup - you saw it coming. Ms. cord had just enough slack 'tween being pinned under the crossbar on the floor and the electrical junction box up under the lift where the motor lives!! Just enough slack to allow 18-20 inches of altitude and then - junction box sez " ta ta, Ms. cord!!! :eek:

So there we are - ole Toad spent the night 18-20 inches off the ground. Didn't even have the Goat to keep company, cuz I had to git home without calling "kitchen pass dispenser." Got home; confessed as to why the Goat is spending the night on the right side of the garage, headed out!! And ole Toad is doing a sleepover in the shed. And 'kpd" sez - "well, I helped you pick up YOUR motosickle - you want me to go to the shed with you and fix that whatever it is?" :eek: Man, is she lucky the garden hose wuz around back!!! :rolleyes:

Soooo - yestiday wuz Friday the 13th, right?!?! :confused: Had to been. I fretted about what's gonna happen now - howz ole Toad gonna climb down off that 18-20 inch high Handy Lift (without "kpd's" help, thank you velly much!) and should we change sparkle plugs first??!?!?! :histerica I reckon one of two things - make a long, really long, really wide, ramp outta some 2x6s, or buy another lift, raise it 18-20 inches, and park it butt to butt with Mr. Handy and back ole Toad over on it and lower back down to terra firma. What to do, what to do. :confused:

And BTW - the barbequed shrimp, with sides, and a big ole slice of key lime pie made it a memorable Mother's Day. I for sure thanked "kpd" with all them Wal-Mart cards!! ;)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So Dick, is ol Toad still stranded on the lift? Meanwhile, I did get over to the shop yesterday and am sorry to report that I could not find either of those cheap cast arms! I will double check with Art just in case they got stashed somewhere, but since I did find the plastic support in many pieces and the motor & gear shaft, I suspect that they were destroyed in the crash.

Sorry buddy. Good Luck in your efforts to free Toad!

John

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Hey, Dick...where is the arm broken?

I broke only the very top part of the arm (where the "circle" completes). Took a dremel with a cutting disc to slice a "slot" in the arm end, then epoxied a washer into the end, making a new circle end on it. It's worked like a charm so far...and after finding out that BMW charges close to $50 for the 4-inch plastic replacement part, and they are never in stock at the dealer, I figured, what the hell.

If your "arm" is only broken at the top, worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what broke on yours, but this is what broke on mine and fixed it with a tie-wrap . I drilled two holes for the tie-wrap to run through and loop around the pivot pin.
The plastic part that broke is meant to break-away in a crash, but seems to break at other times, also. I've seen other fixes with a "C" bracket, but that eliminates the safty factor.

HTH,
Jer

1 - 20 of 46 Posts