BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned numerous bikes with windshields but I have never had one that has had the outer and inner coating peel off. I can actually take my fingernail and start to pull the coating off in strips anywhere on the windshield. I only found this out when I was cleaning the bugs off the windshield. I ran my finger over a bump to see if it was on the outside or the inside and then I used my nail to pick at it... off came the coating. So I went down to the corner of the windshield (just to test it) and with my fingernail was able to scratch the coating off with ease. Since then I have noticed 10 different spots where the coating is coming off, inside and outside. I only use a cleaner that the dealer sold me for windshields.

What's up with this?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Cheers, Bill

2005 BMW LT
Ocean Blue

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
... my 2005 is doing the same - first patch was where I thought there might have been a little bit of abrasion, whilst on a Baltic Sea ferry (they get you to park up toooooooo close to the side of the car deck), but now I have a couple of other patches. I use 'Plexus' on mine - I've never had any problems on coated aircraft canopies. I wonder if this is a bad batch of screens?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Woolly said:
... my 2005 is doing the same - first patch was where I thought there might have been a little bit of abrasion, whilst on a Baltic Sea ferry (they get you to park up toooooooo close to the side of the car deck), but now I have a couple of other patches. I use 'Plexus' on mine - I've never had any problems on coated aircraft canopies. I wonder if this is a bad batch of screens?

Mine is a 2003 and mine does it as well, from what i read it is just the nature of the oem BMW screen, I just got my new Cee Bailey's 24" screen today and put it on tonight, now no more peeling.

Although I do have to get used to having such a large screen after having a euro cut type screen. At least I can say wind doesn't affect me anymore!

·
Registered
153 Posts
BillCav said:
I have owned numerous bikes with windshields but I have never had one that has had the outer and inner coating peel off. different spots where the coating is coming off, inside and outside. I only use a cleaner that the dealer sold me for windshields.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Cheers, Bill

It happened to my 2000 LT a few months ago, I was told to pour hot water on windshield to melt protective coating off. I ordered a new Cee Bailey instead.

·
Registered
562 Posts
On page 70 of the Service and Technical Booklet it says to clean the windshield with water only. There is a caution at the bottom of the page that states "Do not use cleansing agents. Fuel and chemical solvents attack the winshield material." Not sure if this is the cause of the peeling, but maybe? I have heard of others getting their windshields replaced under warranty but if asked what I used to clean it I would say water only.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Happened to my 2002. Take it to the dealer. I was the second owner and they still replaced it with no questions. I have only used soap and water on mine.
Have not had much luck with Plexus. It damaged my helmet visor as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
windshield

My 2006 LT wind shield did it. Do NOT use windex. Amonia will cause the peeling. Dealer replaced it but I went to a Parabellum and I like it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I'll print them out and take them to my dealer.

Cheers, Bill

05 BMW LT
Ocean Blue

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine did the same and BMW replaced it promptly.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts