BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 LT and the windshield has gotten hazed and cloudy. are there any suggestion on bring it back to normal or will it have to be replaced?

Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lexan refinishing is a pretty common thing around light aircraft. It's similar to polishing and waxing paint in that you use progressivly finer and finer grit to take down the scratches. You can also get plastic headlight polishing kits at automotive stores...it couldn't hurt to try it as replacement windshields are in the neighborhood of $250 or so.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
There has been lots of discussion in the past about the stock BMW windshield, try a search and you should find lots of detail information.

As I remember, the stock windshield has a coating on it and any attempt to try to polish it will NOT work and probably make it worse. Sorry I don't remember what the cure for your problem is but seem to remember replacement is in your future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
there is a coating on our windshields. if u start the "polishing" u r in 4 a lot of elbow grease. u will have to polish the coating completely away. once u have done that u will have a nice clear shield. don't really know what "losing " the coating will reveal down the road but it does clear thing up :) did this on my r1100rt and r1200cl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cul8tr said:
there is a coating on our windshields. if u start the "polishing" u r in 4 a lot of elbow grease. u will have to polish the coating completely away. once u have done that u will have a nice clear shield. don't really know what "losing " the coating will reveal down the road but it does clear thing up :) did this on my r1100rt and r1200cl
Thanks everyone, yes i can see the coating coming off in spots all over the windshield. i will give the polisihng a go and see what happens.

good luck and good riding!

·
Registered
576 Posts
See, that's what I get for buying a used bike. It came with a Cee Bailey windshield (nice and clear, too!)

Are the wing fairings coated too?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Moisture gets in between the protective coating and the polycarbonate and fogs it. Wax will seal in the moisture. Alcohol will draw out the moisture. My OEM shield lasted a few years before it got bad enough to replace it. Used only hot water to clean it except those humid days. I think it started going bad when I tried other stuff on it to clean it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Get denatured alcohol and wipe the windshield down, it doesn't hurt the coating, and it will immediately get rid of the moisture that is causing it to cloud up, no rubbing necessary, just wipe it down. The coating is actually there to protect the windshield from scratching, once you remove it, the polycarbonate will get that fine haze of scratches that is so visible in the sun!! I also use pledge to keep my windshield protected and shiney ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
As said before never ever use polish on that windshield. Denatured alcohol or just simple furniture polish as Jonsons Dust & Clean. This blue stuff in a spray bottle
But if you get in to the cold winter time you will have always a little grey fog building up on the screen. Just wipe it off with alcohol or Dust & Clean. If you use alcohol don't rub to much.

Manfred

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse to get a new Cee Bailey's windscreen if you ask me! ;-)

If you use alcohol, use the kind labelled "denatured." Kinda hard to find, but works well, even on the radio displays used on pre-05 models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts