BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new to me, 2019 R1250RT’s windshield is not retracting at shutoff. Not a big deal because it still operates up and down when I push the button just curious why. Anybody know? Did I disable that function somehow unknowingly?

I just installed a Werks 24” quiet ride aftermarket shield and noticed it not retracting. The new shield doesn’t bind anywhere and fits perfectly but that is the only thing I have done differently.

Still under warranty if needed, but just wondering if it is something simple. Manual is no help in troubleshooting.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried cyclinh it through top to bottom a few times, I believe it may be like car windows and can forget its limits
Nope….will give it a try. If that solves it I will report back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried cyclinh it through top to bottom a few times, I believe it may be like car windows and can forget its limits
……And just like that, problem solved! Thanks Kickstart!

Turned on the ignition, used the button to go all the way up and down and up again. Turned off the ignition with the shield in its upmost position and it retracted automatically like it should.

Who knew……?:giggle:

·
Registered
24 Posts
……And just like that, problem solved! Thanks Kickstart!

Turned on the ignition, used the button to go all the way up and down and up again. Turned off the ignition with the shield in its upmost position and it retracted automatically like it should.

Who knew……?:giggle:
Lol, I did read it somewhere else so can't take the credit!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kickstart and several of us. And now you know as well...(y)

“Got to be a joker,….. he jus do what he please…..” ;)
Well, it won’t take you guys very long to figure out I’m not very bright….:rolleyes: But….at least my windshield works…..:giggle:

Oh…..you must like my tag line! I think it is from some song or other…..

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Has nothing to do with how bright you are... ;) IF RT owners remove the windshield - for example to clean it - they usually leave it down to do so and don't see this happen.

I learned about the issue from a buddy in Albuquerque some time back. We met for coffee and he was telling me about a buddy that ran into this same problem. He told me he said he turned on his ignition, partly raised his windshield to remove and clean it, left the ignition on, re-mounted the windshield and when he turned the ignition off - the shield did not go back down. Personally, I would have tried to raise and lower it if that happened but that's just me.

Too late to call the dealer, he forgot about it until the next day and he was told by the dealer it was uncommon but did happen. Was told to go turn on the ignition and raise and lower it and it would all be normal. When he went to the garage he turned the ignition on and the windshield went down without any button pushing.

That was a couple years ago and until I saw the response by Kickstart, I'd forgotten about the conversation.

Glad it's all working well now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has nothing to do with how bright you are... ;) IF RT owners remove the windshield - for example to clean it - they usually leave it down to do so and don't see this happen.

I learned about the issue from a buddy in Albuquerque some time back. We met for coffee and he was telling me about a buddy that ran into this same problem. He told me he said he turned on his ignition, partly raised his windshield to remove and clean it, left the ignition on, re-mounted the windshield and when he turned the ignition off - the shield did not go back down. Personally, I would have tried to raise and lower it if that happened but that's just me.

Too late to call the dealer, he forgot about it until the next day and he was told by the dealer it was uncommon but did happen. Was told to go turn on the ignition and raise and lower it and it would all be normal. When he went to the garage he turned the ignition on and the windshield went down without any button pushing.

That was a couple years ago and until I saw the response by Kickstart, I'd forgotten about the conversation.

Glad it's all working well now.
I actually had run the shield up and down a bit prior to posting that, which is how I knew the button still worked. I guess what I didn’t do was raise it and lower it to its limits which might have reset it somehow.

But maybe…..

Forehead Smile Tie Flash photography Gesture

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
170 Posts
Had this happen to my 2022 recently and also within a few weeks of use with a new Werks 24".

Found in the manual the methodology to reset it. (which is what has been stated above about calibrating the adjustment range of the windshield)

Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Publication

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
231 Posts
And the answer to "Tag line some song or other" is:
The Beatles, Come Together, just in case you weren't messing around.

2019 R1250RT, 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT

“Got to be a joker,….. he jus do what he please…..”

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had this happen to my 2022 recently and also within a few weeks of use with a new Werks 24".

Found in the manual the methodology to reset it. (which is what has been stated above about calibrating the adjustment range of the windshield)

View attachment 179748
Interesting! My 2019 owners manual, does not have any of that text below your red mark. It must have been added in later years.

Anyway…..now we know! Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
And the answer to "Tag line some song or other" is:
The Beatles, Come Together, just in case you weren't messing around.

2019 R1250RT, 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
“Got to be a joker,….. he jus do what he please…..”
“He say, …..one, an one, an one, is three…..”

1 - 13 of 13 Posts