BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one having or had trouble with the windshield motor. I like to adjust it a lot for speed, wind, rain, heat, cold etc. I would like to see if that’s OK or if that causes trouble down the line.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
two things I use the most after shifting and the clutch are the windshield motor and the cruse controll, ( and the brakes and turn signals are also used.)

Jim :dance:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I bet there is a ton of those motors out there that can be had dirt cheap. So play away. People usually bust the arm assy from dropping and that leaves them with a good motor.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If ya burn up a windshield motor, it is relatively cheap to replace (used) and easy to do.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Jburwell said:
Any one having or had trouble with the windshield motor. I like to adjust it a lot for speed, wind, rain, heat, cold etc. I would like to see if that’s OK or if that causes trouble down the line.
Play with it without thinking about it. If you have the stock shield there is virtually no problem raising it at speed, while you may find it difficult or impossible with an after-market shield. I cannot raise my Cee Bailey #2 -2 above 65-70 mph, so if I need to raise it I have to slow down a bit first.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Oil it

Found mine sticking several months ago and it just needed a little oil on the hinges. By the way, I adjust mine all the time while riding. 30,000 miles and riding............................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I do have the tall BMW shield and don't have a problem moving it at speed. I do like to look over it, but at speed it's not as nice as my CLC with a Laminar Lip, the Lip makes the CLC quieter (wind noise) at speed than the LT and I can look over the shield without been blasted by the wind.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Screen motor

My UK spec LT will not allow the screen to rise above 80 mph.I have reached 120 mph with the screen up with no issues. I did however have mild steel pins fitted to my screen hindges instead of stainless steel and they rusted solid and where a bitch to remove. This as been my only issue with the screen. I have the BMW tall screen fitted.

Dean

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had some trouble with mine about a year after I put a CB #2 -2 w/wings on it. Squirted some silicone on the hinge points and no problems - even at 80+ mph.

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine froze solid recently, having been ridden almost all winter on salt laden roads. I think it was partly that I didn't use it enough.

Anyway, I put oil on the hinges and it's freed up.

My advice, lube it and use it.

Where have I heard that before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts