BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seem like a silly question, but has anyone else experience problems with their stock windshield fogging up? I ride to work (don't we all?) early in the morning, many times pre-dawn or just as the sun is coming up. My 30 mile route has areas lined by trees and bordered by cornfields and a pond or two, so there IS humidity out there. Most mornings, I end up getting a slight fogging over, but some mornings it's severe enough that I have to lower the windshield and look over it.
Any ideas?
I have never used anything on this windshield except plain water or Plexus, same as every other bike I have ever had.
The bike is an '05 and I have only had it about a month, but I ride it enough (5K so far) that this whole not being able to see thing is getting to be a pain, especially living in deer country.
If I replace it, any suggestions on an aftermarket windshield?

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sounds like you've removed the protective film from the shield ammonia based products strip the coating from the plastic. Not sure what to use to restore it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Wipe it down with denatured alcohol (available cheap at drugstores) works great. But it will come back. The newer BMW windshields dont seem to do this anymore. I finally bought a Cee Bailey windshield and love it. No fog, no distortions, less wind buffeting, and a crystal clear view.

Yes, I know about the impact safety aspect vs. the polycarbonate screens. I think that it is such a remote possibility that me seeing better ever day outweighs that aspect.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Wipe it down with denatured alcohol (available cheap at drugstores) works great. But it will come back. The newer BMW windshields dont seem to do this anymore. I finally bought a Cee Bailey windshield and love it. No fog, no distortions, less wind buffeting, and a crystal clear view.

Yes, I know about the impact safety aspect vs. the polycarbonate screens. I think that it is such a remote possibility that me seeing better ever day outweighs that aspect.
I have a Cee Bailey on my LT and also had one on the GS. I totalled the GS and the windshield shattered. There were some very sharp pieces. Thankfully I didn't fall on any of them. I'm going to leave the windshield on the LT and hope I don't wreck it, but I won't buy another Cee Bailey because of that.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I use isopropyl alcohol on the inside of my shield, but that's for the "natural" fogging that occurs due to the protective film capturing it. This will help somewhat if you're riding through a cool, damp area, but may not be a final cure.
Obviously, I still use the original shield.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input....gives me much to think about. Structural integrity of the windshield is kind of a Big Deal to me. On our first 600 mile day on the bike I hit two birds at the same time, the first one going up and over and just missing my wifes helmet. I have have been riding since I was 10......first bird strike and it was a double....so maybe I appeased the Karma gods and I am safe for another 38 years? Not sure if I want to chance it or not.........

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
If you scroll down a bit to "similar threads", there's more insight to be had on fogging.
My brother lives just outside of South Whitley. There's some nice empty roads out your way.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhhh.....you must know of Indiana 5 that runs right through South Whitley and right by my house. I got my bike in Grand Rapids and I rode 5 home......chuckles & grins for miles........
Just started checking out the other threads. Thanks a bunch to everyone for their help and insight.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
t61vance said:
Ahhhhh.....you must know of Indiana 5 that runs right through South Whitley and right by my house. I got my bike in Grand Rapids and I rode 5 home......chuckles & grins for miles........
Just started checking out the other threads. Thanks a bunch to everyone for their help and insight.
Yep, he's just East of town on I-5. Perfect for his liking.
I was at G.R. BMW last friday to have the rear tire changed. They seem to have a pretty thriving business there. Nice ride on M-196, except for some construction. The miles just fly by.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The scratch resistant coating on the stock BMW windshield will absorb moisture from the air, and when the temperature etc. are right, fogging occurs. It will normally go away when the temperature of the shield rises, but unfortunately, any additional coating, such as Plexus, tends to seal the moisture in and the fogging will be far more persistent.

Alcohol is very hygroscopic, which means that it will "grab" moisture vigorously, so rubbing the shield down with alcohol will pull the moisture out of the coating.

Note: Do not expect plain rubbing alcohol from the drugstore to do it very well because it is often only a few percent alcohol, the rest water. Denatured alcohol, or isopropyl alcohol that is a high percentage of alcohol works well.

The key is to NOT put any type of sealing coating on it!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I mixed 50/50 paste wax and distilled water; mine doesn't fog-up.

Of course, we are in a drought here in Waco and I don't worry too much about humidity - but the windshield hasn't fogged up! :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, I had the same problem with my windshield when I bought my 00, I got the denatured alcohol at walmart, after reading this forum, gave it a wipe down, and that solved the problem for me. I got a quart, and keep it around in case it does it again sometime. I live on Whidbey Island in Washington, and yes we do have humidity here....cool and humidity.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Check out Black Lab, they sell "All Kleer," which works great cleaning the the windshield, without the risk of fogging. The suggestions provided earlier in this thread are cheaper solutions, but you might want to try All Keer. I've been using it for the last 25K miles and it has worked like a charm, in below freezing temps to high temps/high humidity. I'll use Plexus on the tupperware portion of the LT, but never on the windshield. Good luck.
Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts