BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Meguiar's cleaner/polish combination advertised to do wonders for motorcycle windshields. So, like a dope, I applied it to my '04 LT. I followed directions, used clean microfiber towels for each process and "let the fog begin." Not only does it always fog, it looks greasy and the windshield always looks like it needs to be cleaned. At night, the view through it is blurry. I tried using Tide (as mentioned in a similar post earlier) to clean it off, not much better. Will purchase denatured alcohol and give that a shot. Meguiar's has a return policy (I bought it through their website) and I sent them an email; expressing my woes and requesting info on their return policy and process. And, guess what? No response from them. I guess when you sell a lackluster product there is little chance you'll stand behind it. Another costly lesson; in cash, hassle, and efforts to remove it. Buyer beware! Looks like a Cee Bailey is in my future.

·
Registered
460 Posts
From what I understand with the factory shield, the coating is the problem. If you seal the coating with a waxy topping, you get condensation or fog trapped between the windshield and the factory coating because the coating can no longer breathe. I'm pretty sure the McGuires product would work on other, non-coated shields. Denatured alcohol should safely remove the McGuires and let the coating "breathe" again. I've seen similar products that don't work on the factory BMW shield do a great job on other motorcycle shields.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Meguiar's is for acrylic shields . . . NOT polycarbonate shields. The alcohol should do the trick, if you haven't ruined the coating of the OEM shield too badly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've tried several products on my 99LT windshield. Denatured alcohol worked each time to get the offending stuff off. Now, finally, I have learned to just use soap and water to clean it and give up on the fancy stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Paint Ball Masks

Go to a hobby show (HobbyTown USA) or any around where you are, ask for the Paint Ball Masks specific Anti-Fog stuff, is what I use and I have NEVER had the problem again, it will take a couple of applications, a couple of weeks apart but it works awsome.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I haven't put any denatured alcohol on my bike. But, if moisture is a concern, I would get 99% denatured alcohol instead of rubbing alcohol which contains 20-40% water, and try it on a small, spot.

Bob, 00LT

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Sam, I don't know what BMW's current policy is, but since your '04 is still under warranty, you can ask the dealer to replace your fogged windshield. Back a few years ago, they would do this for you. The replacement BMW shields (here in the US) are made by National Cycle in the US of A (unlike the made-in-Germany shields that come on new LTs), and they do NOT fog up. This also leaves you riding behind a polycarbonate shield, a benefit (some of us believe) over the Cee Bailey's shields.

- Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Mr. Menton, and everyone else for their direction and advice. I'll try the warranty request with another dealer than where the bike was originally bought .... BMW of the place where NASCAR races are near Cape Canaveral charged me a good buck to clean and adjust my rear brakes ... something that I thought would have been warrantied with all of the non stop squealing. "New" shop only an hour or so away, will see what they have to say. Have appt. for Friday morning. Thanks again, all!

·
Registered
20 Posts
NascaLT said:
I purchased the Meguiar's cleaner/polish combination advertised to do wonders for motorcycle windshields. So, like a dope, I applied it to my '04 LT. I followed directions, used clean microfiber towels for each process and "let the fog begin." Not only does it always fog, it looks greasy and the windshield always looks like it needs to be cleaned. At night, the view through it is blurry. I tried using Tide (as mentioned in a similar post earlier) to clean it off, not much better. Will purchase denatured alcohol and give that a shot. Meguiar's has a return policy (I bought it through their website) and I sent them an email; expressing my woes and requesting info on their return policy and process. And, guess what? No response from them. I guess when you sell a lackluster product there is little chance you'll stand behind it. Another costly lesson; in cash, hassle, and efforts to remove it. Buyer beware! Looks like a Cee Bailey is in my future.
I've used Plexus, and only Plexus, on my three K1200LTs (two 2000s and a 2005) over the past seven years and have been very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I Agree. I Us Plexus, My Dealer Uses Plexus, Aircraft Companies Use Plexus, Helmet Dealers On Visors Etc. Great Non Abrasive Cleaner And Polish/sealer. No Fogging After Application. And Its So Easy To Apply!

·
Registered
199 Posts
First, go with Bobs suggestion and see if you can have it covered under warranty. Even with a replacement windshield fogging may continue to be a problem. My best advice to you is to clean it only with mild soap and water and then give it a wipe off with alcohol. I have read assorted threads on why the fogging happens and what the problems may be, but the bottom line is wiping it with some rubbing alcohol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts