BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield on my LT is becoming a mess. Is there a product I can use to restore it or does it just need replacing?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I installed a Cee Baileys Sport shield for summer, and have never reinstalled the original. Try Ebay or this forum for a replacement. I think once the plastic becomes trashy, it's best to replace it. Just my .02

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
The windshield on my LT is becoming a mess. Is there a product I can use to restore it or does it just need replacing?
If it is a stock it is a coated poly carbonate and nothing will make it right again. Best to replace.

Reactions: ALL4BMW

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Polycarbonate doesn't polish well. Replace it. If you want OEM strength, ensure the replacement is polycarbonate. If you don't mind large rocks to the chest and face, then acrylic is fine for blocking wind, bugs and pebbles.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Polycarbonate doesn't polish well. Replace it. If you want OEM strength, ensure the replacement is polycarbonate. If you don't mind large rocks to the chest and face, then acrylic is fine for blocking wind, bugs and pebbles.
My God, are your neighbours angry at you or something. Tell them to stop throwing rocks at you.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
My God, are your neighbours angry at you or something. Tell them to stop throwing rocks at you.
The rationalizations BMW riders make for stepping down from a polycarbonate shield to an acrylic one are almost as good as Harley riders make for buying a Harley. :grin:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The rationalizations BMW riders make for stepping down from a polycarbonate shield to an acrylic one are almost as good as Harley riders make for buying a Harley. :grin:
How many options do we now have for a poly windshield besides the stock at the astronomical price per mm.

46 63 2 307 914 WINDSHIELD, HIGH - 620MM 5.72 1 $949.75
46 63 2 347 010 WINDSHIELD - NIEDRIG 440MM 4.61 1 $759.82

Was going to get a CEE Bailey but they are no longer making MC products so I went with a Slipstreamer. I can at least see but they are 177 Aircraft Quality Lucite Acrylic. Not sure how that compares. At least I can see till I get beaned by a boulder.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
V-Stream is poly and reasonable. But I love my short stock Euro screen and keep going back to it. Cleaned only with water and soft cloth, it is holding up well after 14 years of use (except for the 2 years I ran a tall with laminar lip, and the V-Stream for 1 year).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Look into a Vstream. My freind has one on his Goldwing and likes it.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
How many options do we now have for a poly windshield besides the stock at the astronomical price per mm.

46 63 2 307 914 WINDSHIELD, HIGH - 620MM 5.72 1 $949.75
46 63 2 347 010 WINDSHIELD - NIEDRIG 440MM 4.61 1 $759.82

Was going to get a CEE Bailey but they are no longer making MC products so I went with a Slipstreamer. I can at least see but they are 177 Aircraft Quality Lucite Acrylic. Not sure how that compares. At least I can see till I get beaned by a boulder.
Windshield Bible - Why Buy a Motorcycle Windshield

It has been a while since I saw technical data, but the best I've ever seen from acrylic was less than 1/3 the impact resistance of polycarbonate. Many cheap acrylics are less than 1/10 the impact resistance.

The good news is that an acrylic shield will probably protect your windshield arms in a garage tip-over. >:)

I searched and found this which is a pretty thorough comparison. Acrylic is stated as 17 times more impact resistance than glass while polycarbonate is 250 times better than glass or about 15 times better than acrylic. I am sure I have read about some treated acrylics that are only 3 times worse than poly, but their cost is then no longer very advantageous.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/lexan-vs-acrylic

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Windshield Bible - Why Buy a Motorcycle Windshield

It has been a while since I saw technical data, but the best I've ever seen from acrylic was less than 1/3 the impact resistance of polycarbonate. Many cheap acrylics are less than 1/10 the impact resistance.

The good news is that an acrylic shield will probably protect your windshield arms in a garage tip-over. >:)

I searched and found this which is a pretty thorough comparison. Acrylic is stated as 17 times more impact resistance than glass while polycarbonate is 250 times better than glass or about 15 times better than acrylic. I am sure I have read about some treated acrylics that are only 3 times worse than poly, but their cost is then no longer very advantageous.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/lexan-vs-acrylic
I have read several articles about the benefits of poly so I know I want one in the end. I also got the tall and boy is it tall. I almost can't see over it in the lowest position so that will change also. The slipstream was hopefully a shorter term replacement for the one I couldn't see through especially into the sun. It will do for now as long as I don't drop it in my garage :grin:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I have read several articles about the benefits of poly so I know I want one in the end. I also got the tall and boy is it tall. I almost can't see over it in the lowest position so that will change also. The slipstream was hopefully a shorter term replacement for the one I couldn't see through especially into the sun. It will do for now as long as I don't drop it in my garage :grin:
Poly is easy to cut. Cover with painters tape, a couple layers for good measure. Draw the desired contour, I usually use a compass to transfer the stock contour. Cut the shield with a fine tooth bladed jig saw or hand saw if you are patient. Sand a rounded contour with 80 grit, an orbital sander works great. Work down to 400 or even 1000 grit if you want a nearly polished edge. Remove the tape and voila!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Poly is easy to cut. Cover with painters tape, a couple layers for good measure. Draw the desired contour, I usually use a compass to transfer the stock contour. Cut the shield with a fine tooth bladed jig saw or hand saw if you are patient. Sand a rounded contour with 80 grit, an orbital sander works great. Work down to 400 or even 1000 grit if you want a nearly polished edge. Remove the tape and voila!
That would be great if it was poly.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
That would be great if it was poly.
Acrylic cuts nearly as easy. Just use a really fine blade as acrylic is harder and can crack if a blade takes too big a bite. I cut my Kawasaki Voyager shield down and I'm quite sure it was acrylic. I think BMW is about the only manufacturer smart enough to use poly. Even light aircraft makers use acrylic which is why bird strikes are so dangerous. Even at 100 mph, a small bird will punch right through acrylic. I am still surprised that the FAA certifies aircraft with windshields that can't stop a pigeon.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Acrylic cuts nearly as easy. Just use a really fine blade as acrylic is harder and can crack if a blade takes too big a bite. I cut my Kawasaki Voyager shield down and I'm quite sure it was acrylic. I think BMW is about the only manufacturer smart enough to use poly. Even light aircraft makers use acrylic which is why bird strikes are so dangerous. Even at 100 mph, a small bird will punch right through acrylic. I am still surprised that the FAA certifies aircraft with windshields that can't stop a pigeon.
Not going to try and cut it now as I will be at IronHorse tomorrow. It may be useful full length to someone else if I get a different one or I may hang onto it if I like it on the road. I haven't really ridden with it yet except a few miles where I realized how tall it was.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before spending big money, try rubbing te screen with 90% alcohol (or more). You can buy it at the local pharmacy. Works great for my screen. The white glance disappears.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think the debate between polycarbonate or acrylic on the LT is specious.
An object with enough mass and energy to breach an acrylic screen would likely break the arms holding a polycarbonate screen too.

I tried a Euro cut screen and it was a bit too short for my liking. It could not provide any deflection of light rain in the fully up position. Fully down, it was about like a sportbike screen; barely there. I bought an inexpensive (i.e. ratty) full size OEM screen to experiment and cut about 2in off the top. The intermediate height works for me. I will either leave it all alone or go back and cut down the original screen since it is in better condition.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I think the debate between polycarbonate or acrylic on the LT is specious.
An object with enough mass and energy to breach an acrylic screen would likely break the arms holding a polycarbonate screen too.
I have more confidence in BMW engineering than you do. I suspect they designed the arms to withstand most of what a poly windshield can take. And poly can take a lot more than acrylic. This doesn't matter to everyone, so acrylic is a fine solution for such folks. As an engineer myself, I see no reason to settle for less than what BMW designed into the windshield system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts